Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dyna S-basic question 12 Nov 2007 15:05 #180734

• mattylight
  • mattylight's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have looked high and low, and cannot seem to figure this out. I'm working on a 1980 KZ750 4. Thinking about replacing the factory ignition with a Dyna unit. Does the Dyna S use the factory IC ignitor? Does the Dyna S use the factory timing advance? How does the Dyna fit into the wiring harness? The instructions on dyna's website isn't exactly clear.
Thanks
Matt

Post edited by: mattylight, at: 2007/11/12 18:12

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dyna S-basic question 12 Nov 2007 15:21 #180736

• Bluemeanie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
I've heard that the factory electronic system is great and can handle any modifications to the motor! I installed a Dyna S on my bike (points system) and it was a night and day differance! They gave me a new lobe for the factory advance, everything bolted to the points plate. Word of caution, system was VERY easy to install, wiring and all. But DO NOT use the blue plastic connector, solder that wire! Is there a problem with your system?
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

Dyna S-basic question 12 Nov 2007 15:45 #180744

• mattylight
  • User
my factory system is non-existant, and I want the easiest and best way into a running bike. I'll be re-creating the rest of the wiring harness, a very simple one, and I need to know how the Dyna would fit into this system.

Dyna S-basic question 12 Nov 2007 16:00 #180746

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
The Dyna-S has all of the electronics built into the ignition plate there is no separate ignition box. It wires into the factory ignition system. You can't use the factory coils though. The green dynas are the correct ones and there are others.
Ride safe.
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Dyna S-basic question 12 Nov 2007 16:05 #180748

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 238
Are the coils on a KZ750 different ohm than a KZ650? I've used stock coils with the dyna setup since 1979 without a problem.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Dyna S-basic question 12 Nov 2007 16:40 #180755

• mattylight
  • User
The Dyna website claims that the S unit can be combined with stock or other coils as long as they are the 3 ohm resistance type. The unit is the same for 650 and 750 engines.
So the Ignitor is out of the system, and the dyna S unit is grounded and connected directly to the coils. Alright that's what I was looking for.

Dyna S-basic question 12 Nov 2007 22:35 #180801

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
RonKZ650 wrote:

Are the coils on a KZ750 different ohm than a KZ650? I've used stock coils with the dyna setup since 1979 without a problem.

If he has the Kaw factory electronic ignition coils, they are 2.5-ohm approx. I don't know what year and model 750's had the electronic ignition.

Dyna recommends a minimum of 3-ohm for the Dyna S. I think OnkelB uses the 2.5-ohm coils with his Dyna S anyway, and it works. He's probably just inside the safety margin.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/11/13 02:19

Dyna S-basic question 12 Nov 2007 23:07 #180802

• mattylight
  • User
ahh loudhvx, I always appreciate your input! What I'm really looking for is how the dyna unit fits into the simplified wiring diagram you posted for me quite some time ago, I have been using that as a guideline for how I will wire my bike once I am to that stage. At the moment I haven't decided wether to stick with my stock ignition or get the Dyna. Any thoughts? Also if I do go with the Dyna, would stock coils a reasonable replacment? thanks
matt

Dyna S-basic question 12 Nov 2007 23:47 #180804

• OnkelB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
loudhvx wrote:

Dyna recommends a minimum of 3-ohm for the Dyna S. I think OnkelB uses the 2.5-ohm coils with his Dyna S anyway, and it works. He's probably just inside the safety margin

I did run 2.5 ohm coils both with points and then with a DynaS - didnĀ“t have any problems, but as Lou says I was probably close to the edge.

The only reason for the 2.5 ohm coils (more like 2 - 2.2 actually) is that they were on the bike when I bought it - I have since installed a set of Dyna 3 ohm coils.
77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

Dyna S-basic question 13 Nov 2007 00:00 #180806

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
I personally prefer the Kaw system, but if you don't have the necessary components, the Dyna is probably easier to get together, and may be cheaper.

The Dyna S will use more power, and require 3-ohm or higher coils. If you are going to run extra accesories or lights, you may want to use the Kaw ignition system to reduce the draw on the charging system. You can use the 2.5-ohm coils on the Dyna S, but you run the risk of possibly damaging the Dyna S.

If your 750 had points, then it probably has 4-ohm coils, and would work well with the Dyna S, but not with the Kaw electronic ignition. Nevermind, 1980 KZ 750 H had electronic ignition.

I won't use 25yr old coils, since having been stranded by old coils after a rain storm. If they are original, I wouldn't trust them in the long run. If you buy new coils, 3-ohm coils will work well with the Dyna S or the Kaw electronic ignition.

I posted an updated diagram on your other thread:
here

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/11/13 03:09

Dyna S-basic question 13 Nov 2007 00:05 #180807

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Heh, looks like everybody's awake.
Thanks for the update OnkelB. Late for me, but mid-day for you? :)

And I see Matty already responded to the other thread. :)

G'night all.

Dyna S-basic question 13 Nov 2007 00:41 #180808

• mattylight
  • User
yeah its late, but about time for bed myself! I've been working out the details of this project for too long...the bike is in 1 million pieces, and i'm cleaning parts and taking inventory. I got 3 boxes of stuff with the bike, so I prolly have all the original parts to the kawi system. i could certainly get a new Ignitor of ebay... i know the magnetic pickups are there, and the charging system is good. I have at least 3 starter solenoids and a couple of reg/rects. lol, i also got the whole bottom end of a 650 somehow, pistons just hanging on. the project shouldnt take much longer at this rate. anyhow thanks for the regular help.
matt

• Page: