Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

not getting 12V to coil? 06 Nov 2007 21:40 #179920

• outaline
  • outaline's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I did the "relay mod" and am getting 12V at the relay but by the time I get to the coils the V reading is 10.5V?

Hows that work. There's only one wire going from the relay to the coils and I replaced that so any ideas would be great.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

not getting 12V to coil? 07 Nov 2007 05:39 #179940

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
What gauge wire did you use to run to the coils? Can't think of anything other than wire gauge is inappropriate. Did you use a pigtail on the relay? A bad connection might cause the voltage drop.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

not getting 12V to coil? 07 Nov 2007 07:56 #179961

• bill_wilcox100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
1) With the ignition on, check the voltage at the battery then the voltage at the hot input to the relay. If they are the same all is good here. If they are not the same you are dropping some voltage across a bad crimp or cold solder joint or the wire is too small (I used 12 AWG which was much more than necessary, but there was NO voltage drop). Change your crimps, re-solder all joints, up-size the wire and test again.

2) Next check the voltage at the hot output of the relay. If it the same as the input all is good here. If they are not the same you are dropping some voltage across a bad relay (change the relay) or you have a cold solder joint (re-solder all joints) or bad contact between the relay pin and the relay connector/pig tail (change the relay connector) and test again.

3) Next check the voltage at the hot coil inputs. If they are the same as the battery all is good here. If not repeat step 2 between the relay hot output and the coil hot inputs.

4) If you are using a Dyna coil, check that the hot coil input is not shorting or arching agains the mounting stud. If its is insulate the screw top or the mounting stud (electrical tape or shrink tubing).

Best of success.
1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

• Page: