Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

starter/ brake failure switch 04 Nov 2007 14:37 #179589

• brianpclarke
  • brianpclarke's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey.... hoping someone could help me out with this one... I am putting together a 1979 kz650 which has not run in somewhere around 6 years. I have almost gotten it to start but one thing plagues me.... when i try and use the electrical starter it just whines and clicks and the ground leading out of the battery gets smoking hot... also the other night i walk outside and the brake light was on but the key was not in the ignition. The brake light problem will go on and off randomly. I checked the ground leading from the battery and it is grounded... replaced the switch from the starter to the battery.. but I was looking at the electrical diagnosis in my manual and it looks like there is a connection between the yellow/red wire leading from the starter switch to a "brake light failure switch" which I am not familiar with.... so I am thinking maybe a short somewhere in there.... wondering if anyone has any advice and where the heck the brake light failure switch is.
Thanks
Brian Clarke
1978 KZ650
1979 KZ650
-Brian
1977 KZ650C
1976 Kz900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

starter/ brake failure switch 04 Nov 2007 14:53 #179592

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
The brake light failure switch in under the left side cover. A little square box. when you put the brake on it lights the brake light on the ignition panel.
If the brake light bulb blows the warning light comes on all the time.
Check the leads on the brake light switch itself to see if it is getting power when the key is off. If it has power you have some wires crossed somewhere. Also, if it has power one of the brake switched is not returning all the way, keeping the rear light on. it's usually the rear brake switch needs cleaning and lubing or replacement, but if your front master cylinder is not letting all of the fluid return to the reservoir pressure on the switch could be keeping the light on.
Ride safe.
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

starter/ brake failure switch 05 Nov 2007 07:48 #179701

• brianpclarke
  • brianpclarke's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the advice.... any ideas about the starter? I have recharged the battery and checked the wires over and over and still all it does is whine and click and the negative leading out of the battery gets smoking hot after time.......
-Brian
1977 KZ650C
1976 Kz900 LTD

• Page: