Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

not charging 04 Nov 2007 12:22 #179573

• FireFighterRon
  • FireFighterRon's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
my 1983 kz1100 a3 has had 3 new batt. in the 5 yearsi have had it ... i put the batt on the charger for a while and the next day it starts right up like a champ.. then i go for a ride in the city stop someware turn it off and get back on the bike 1-2h later and its dead... some times i cant even come to a red light and let it idal with out it wanting to die... any idea's what the prob would be ?
Instructions for riding a KZ1100 1) sit on bike, 2) start bike and idle till warm, 3) pull in clutch, put in gear, 4) release clutch and rip on the throttle, 5)VERY IMPORTANT!!HOLD THE F*** ON!!!, 6) Enjoy!! Side effects may include whiplash, wrinkle free skin and an evil smile resembling the"Joker"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

not charging 04 Nov 2007 12:35 #179574

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
charge the battery, fire it up and put a volt meter on the battery, see if it is charging, then the fun begins to isolate the problem
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

not charging 05 Nov 2007 06:18 #179684

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
To expand on what has been said, yes, it is a good idea to check the voltage at the battery but some explanation might be in order. First, charge your battery fully using a slow charging trickle charger and let it charge overnight.

OK. Start the bike. Put your multimeter in VDC scale and touch the probes to the battery terminals... POS to the positive terminal (will be red probe) and the NEG to negative terminal (black probe). At idle you should see just a tad over 12VDC. Now, rev your engine to 4K rpm. You should see 14.5VDC.

If you don't charge your battery properly on its initial charge, it may NEVER hold a charge well. The initial charge is done after filling the cells with acid filled to the upper line on the battery. The charge should be done using a bike-specific trickle charger (or one that is for small batteries) but certainly not with a car charger which puts out too much voltage and too fast. If you charged like I mentioned but have voltage issues at the voltage test; that is, too high or too low, there is a good possibility that your regulator/rectifier OR alternator are bad or you have a bad connections and this will require further trouble shooting.

Explain the initial battery charge procedure and also do the multimeter test as I described. We can get you going pretty quickly as this isn't a complicated problem.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

not charging 05 Nov 2007 18:47 #179779

• nads.com
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
A.S.E. certification manual states that a battery can be charged at any rate. As long as the electrolyete does not exceed temp. of ahhh i forgot 120? Maybe, but if sometime u need a road side jump, u can boost it with the key off and feel the battery to make sure it's not getting too hot. Booster chargers u need to hold hand against the batt as the heat comes on in a couple minutes depending on the amperage.

Post edited by: nads.com, at: 2007/11/05 21:47

• Page: