Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Electronic Ignition 01 Nov 2007 09:20 #179134

• CptEDIV
  • CptEDIV's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Keep hearing about upgrading to electronic ignition... I have coils that goto points, is that the same thing? Sorry, I'm confused..
-ed
1979 KZ 650 D2 \"Midnight\" blue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Electronic Ignition 01 Nov 2007 10:37 #179138

• mariozappa
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

Electronic Ignition 01 Nov 2007 12:54 #179154

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
It ain't the same thing Ed. You can either switch to a Kaw OEM electronic ignition or an aftermarket unit, such as the Dyna S. The electronic ignition replaces the points/condenser set up on your bike. On the OEM electronic ignition, there are TWO pickup coils. These things sense the position of a magnet in the rotor placed on the end of your crank shaft. They send a signal to a box called an IC Igniter which in turn causes the coils to fire. The Dyna S only has pickups that fit where your points currently go. This ignition also uses a rotor with a magnet that causes the pickups to fire the coils when it goes by.

The advantage of the OEM unit is that it used less power and was more robust when new and the disadvantage is that it ain't new anymore. If you buy 10 used OEM ignitions off eBay, perhaps 4 or 5 will work perfectly and some will have issues or not work at all. The Dyna S is a proven ignition and works pretty well. When I redo a bike, I just install one without fussing with any of the OEM ignition parts (as well as coils and wires). Check www.z1enterprises.com as they have good prices. The Dyna S uses your stock mechanical advance. The main benefit is that over time, new points and condensers tend to add up as far as a tune up cost. The Dyna S is a one time install/time and forget it item.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: