Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fun with electronics 31 Oct 2007 18:17 #179048

• Makarth
  • Makarth's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
well, this semester only has a handful of weeks left for me. This means new and yet more difficult classes for me next year (and ROTC :pinch: ) But most importantly it means my first introduction to microprocessors and electronics... it's gonna be hard but i got an email from a teacher with this website and i hope you guys drool as much as i do...

www.sparkfun.com/commerce/categories.php

theres quite a bit of tutorials on the site as is but i would love to figure out how to make a digital tachometer and post the steps here but we will have to see what the future will have in store

btw i think there is a subject on their forum about making a tachometer from possibly a former KZ owner... he mentions something about a kawasaki and its firing order so i assumed it might be an old member here.

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fun with electronics 31 Oct 2007 18:26 #179050

• bill_wilcox100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Good stuff! Old saying: "Remember, when you get to being the smartest one in the room... its time to find a better room." ;)

Keep on learning and best of success! :)
1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

Fun with electronics 31 Oct 2007 18:59 #179054

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
Back several years ago when I was into HO model railroading, one of the magazines had an article on how to build a speedometer that you could install in the doorway of a boxcar that would show the scale speed that the train was traveling. It used contacts on the axle a few electronic pieces and was quite simple. It had the formulas and everything needed to figure out how to use the diameter of the wheel, (a scale 33" in that case). It used 2 led digital displays to should the speed. I've been trying to find a copy of the article, but have had no luck. That would be perfect for a digital tach and speedometer if I could find it. I'll keep up the search.
Ride safe.
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Fun with electronics 31 Oct 2007 20:47 #179067

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
DIY Digital tachometer links:

First

Lots of neat kits here

More kits here

Hugr number of kits here!

Warning!!! Building electronic kits can be addictive!! :D

Wonder if Lou could design one for us? (probably could) :)
KD9JUR

Fun with electronics 31 Oct 2007 23:31 #179074

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Somewhere I have a design using an LM2917, but it's for LEDs which don't do too well in direct sunlight (it's based off Steell's first link). I just don't want any moving parts, but for now I'm still nursing my cheap $30 Sunpro.

Cool links.
Anybody have a link to a dirt cheap short-range transmitter-reciever pair like for a garage door opener?

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/11/01 02:48

• Page: