• Page:

TOPIC:

electrical problems 19 Oct 2007 13:48 #177108

• hardr0ck68
  • hardr0ck68's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
  • Thank you received: 3
when i turn the turn signals on they do not blink, its just a solid light from them.

when i turn the headlight on all 4 turn signals light as well. with the headlight on, when i put a turn signal on one side stays lit and the other goes dark...

The headlight (an old one, that may have just been on its last legs) blew after about 20 seconds of being lit.

As of right not the tail light is not mounted, but i don't know how that could lead to any of these problems.

Where should i start looking to clean up these problems?? any help would be great!!

Post edited by: hardr0ck68, at: 2007/10/19 19:30
1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

electrical problems 21 Oct 2007 17:07 #177437

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1282
I'd start by unplugging all the connectors and looking for anything like corrosion. Disconnect the battery and use a good electrical contact cleaner with a stainless steel wire brush.

I pretty much had similar problems with a Voyager last month. I went so far as to purchase a new flasher ( $47.00) only to find that the problem was the connector for the ignition switch.

kzcsi
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

electrical problems 21 Oct 2007 17:28 #177444

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
this may be a guess, but check to see if all the bulbs are in correct, I chased a problem on a car in high school that ended up being a bulb installed wrong
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

electrical problems 22 Oct 2007 15:59 #177657

• wrenchmonkey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 75
hardr0ck68 wrote:

when i turn the turn signals on they do not blink, its just a solid light from them.

when i turn the headlight on all 4 turn signals light as well. with the headlight on, when i put a turn signal on one side stays lit and the other goes dark...

The headlight (an old one, that may have just been on its last legs) blew after about 20 seconds of being lit.

As of right not the tail light is not mounted, but i don't know how that could lead to any of these problems.

Where should i start looking to clean up these problems?? any help would be great!!<br><br>Post edited by: hardr0ck68, at: 2007/10/19 19:30

Since I'm new to this forum, I feel compelled to explain that nothing I say is KZ experience but I have a lot of experience in restoring vintage autos.

The easiest way to proceed is to work backwards from each bulb and here's what I normally do:

- first test each bulb itself
- test each bulb-holder with a known bulb
- test each light from the wire harness connecting point (where each light "pod" is connected to the main wire loom)
- test all switching with a multimeter out of circuit
- Finally test each circuit with switch installed

Much of this (if not all of it) is best done with a spare battery and some home made test leads. I made my own extended test leads with two alligator clips (one at each end) on a strand of speaker wire (ie: wire guage sufficient for current loading).

Given your description, it sounds like you have a short in the loom somewhere because you said all four signals light-up when headlight is turned on. This may just be some wires are chaffed and touching each other or it could potentially be a bad switch (ie: your left forward control).

Very often, grounding is a problem but this usually results in poor performance as opposed to incorrect performance (ie: weak/dim/intermittent lighting instead of headlight=turn signal).

By working backwards from the bulbs themselves and where possible out of ciruit you can isolate each "leg" of your lighting and thereby provide you with some sanity-checking - or "I KNOW the signal pod works by itself, so it's not it but when connected to the main loom, it suffers" - thus, the problem can be traced to something else.

Lastly, and I'm only suggesting this because of a recent experience on my own KZ440 - the tail light bulb being "not installed yet" would result in a dash light coming on - brake light warning on my bike lights when bulb is dead or missing. If we were to ASSume :whistle: that there was a possible short inside your headlight/guage cluster, this dash light coming on could potentially be causing other circuits to light-up if bare wires were somehow able to cross-circuit or short due to exposed wire leads et cetera.

HTH

• Page: