• Page:

TOPIC:

coil mod help!!!! 09 Oct 2007 12:09 #175405

• BoZ650
  • BoZ650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 77 KZ650 with 4 to1 and pods,Dyna Coil and Dyna S
  • Thank you received: 1
Ok 77 kz650b.Ive wired up the "wiredgeorge coil mod".Now he states that "from the relay pigtail#87 solder/shrink wrap a length of 18ga. wire sufficiently long enough to reach the rear of the coils......and install these connectors onto one of the two small lugs on each of the coils"
OK.I have factory coils and I dont see or recognize what he means by "the two small lugs" I tried hooking them up to the yellow and red striped wires and got nothing.If i hook back up to stock wiring all is working.
Maybe worth mentioning:Im using a 5 prong relay with two #87 terminals coming out.One I capped off for later use with a dyna ignition when wallet permits.

Any comments
77 KZ650 With 4 into 1 header,Air pods,Dyna Green coils,Dyna S Ignition and WiredGeorge coil mod!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

coil mod help!!!! 09 Oct 2007 12:19 #175409

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
There are a couple types of relays... the ones I am familiar with have 87 as the power out lug. Turn on the key and check to see if you have voltage on the 87 wire... if not, you did something wrong. Now, the other lug should be labeled 87B... put your meter on this lug and when you turn the key on, you should see 12VDC... If you do, you can use it to power a Dyna S.

As far as not getting any power to your coils, there are two small lugs. One has a green or black wire connected to it (depending on which coil). This is the wire from your ignition. The OTHER wire is the power wire. This is where you connect the #87 wire. Don't let a bare spot on the wire touch the frame as it will short.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

coil mod help!!!! 09 Oct 2007 12:33 #175412

• BoZ650
  • User
Thanks Wiredgeorge,Ill check tomarrow on the voltage to both #87 terminals.
I ran a wire to the coils and solder/shrink wrapped a OE double female connector to it and plugged the two positive (male end/yellow and red striped) coil wires to it.Is that correct?
The reason i did that was those positive wires seem to be molded into the factory coil.
77 KZ650 With 4 into 1 header,Air pods,Dyna Green coils,Dyna S Ignition and WiredGeorge coil mod!

coil mod help!!!! 10 Oct 2007 05:55 #175517

• wiredgeorge
  • User
If I understand correctly, your coils have yellow/red wires molded INTO the coils and these terminate in male connectors? If that is correct, and if you put the female double connector on the # 87 wire, then when you turn the bike on, voltage should appear on the # 87 wire and then through the double connector to the coils.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

coil mod help!!!! 10 Oct 2007 13:34 #175564

• BoZ650
  • User
Thanks Wiredgeorge,
I hooked up and tested everything today.turns out I had a bad relay.I have power to the #87 coil lead now as I should but the coil that powers the #1 and #4 cylinders is getting real hot.To the point that it started to bubble out one end.This coil stays hot with the key off and the start/run switch off.Other coil is cool.Does this mean that coil is bad?Thanks again.

coil mod help!!!! 10 Oct 2007 17:23 #175595

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
BoZ650 wrote:

...Maybe worth mentioning:Im using a 5 prong relay with two #87 terminals coming out...

As long as you're sure they are both #87, and not a #87 and a #87a. The ones with #87a are wired opposite of the #87. Meaning, when power is applied to the trigger, power is passed through from the input to #87 from the input. When power is REMOVED from the trigger, input power is passed through to #87a.
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

coil mod help!!!! 10 Oct 2007 17:47 #175603

• bill_wilcox100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
If you are using a relay with one #87 and one #87a then your bike is wired the same as mine. Here is a diagram I made to explain it to myself.

I guess I should simplify this diagram since it seems to have far too much detail. Best of success.

Post edited by: bill_wilcox100, at: 2007/10/10 20:48

Post edited by: bill_wilcox100, at: 2007/10/10 20:52
1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Attachments:

coil mod help!!!! 11 Oct 2007 04:24 #175644

• BoZ650
  • User
Thanks Bill,As you can probably tell by reading this thread that im no electrical genius so that diagram doesnt mean a whole lot to me!Ha Ha!But Ill check friday when im back in the shop to see if my relay is marked the same.I think both terminals are marked 87 though.

coil mod help!!!! 11 Oct 2007 07:23 #175674

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Never saw a relay where BOTH the 87 terminals were marked 87... one should be 87 and the other 87B or something along those lines. Some folks have reported that their relays had a different function for the alternate # 87B out (or 87A or whatever). Check the primary and secondary resistance for both your coils as well... you may have a shorted coil. Coils do get warm when the bike is sitting so don't turn the key on and walk away as the coils will eventually fry. They are air cooled.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

coil mod help!!!! 11 Oct 2007 07:38 #175685

• BoZ650
  • User
Thanks Wired george.You were right about the low voltage at the coils with the factory wiring,I only had 10.8 volts going to the coils with a brand new freshly charged battery.I got 11.9 volts after re-wiring with the relay.Im gonna buy a 4 prong relay and harness to avoid all this confusion!Thanks for all the help!

• Page: