Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

82 750 gpz coil ground value 06 Oct 2007 07:47 #174879

• jaguar
  • jaguar's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Morning gents, Just joined and thanks in advance for any help here. Just obtained a 82 750gpz with 3k miles on it because no one could get it to run. Noticed plug spark was weak and off timing and researced it to the coils. Getting voltage (a little low while cranking) but seems like the ground side has voltage also instead of a ground. I suspect the ic igniter is faulty. Am I on the right track? Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

82 750 gpz coil ground value 06 Oct 2007 08:53 #174882

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 374
Welcome Joe.

I'm not the most knowledgable on this sort of thing, but I would be testing the IC Igniter as it does not sound right. In a workshop manual, there should be a test procedure to check the IC Igniter.
I was having different problems with an Electronic Ignition I was using, and traced it to the IC Igniter.

Post up some pictures of your ride when you cam. Love the GPzs. B)
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

82 750 gpz coil ground value 06 Oct 2007 10:02 #174897

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
If the bike is not running, the "ground side" of the coil should have the same voltage as the positive side.

While running, the "ground side" should show anywhere from about 1/2 to 1/4 of the voltage shown on the positive side. This is because it is switching on and off too quickly for your meter to track, therefore your meter shows an average between the "on" reading and the "off" reading.

With a reluctor-type pickup, it is designed so the coils are "off" when the motor is not turning, so it is difficult to measure the voltage on the "ground side". Just make sure the "ground side" wire is good and the ignitor is grounded solidly to a good ground wire. You can measure the voltage on the ignitor's ground wire. It should be almost exactly zero always. If not, then there is a bad ground connection.

• Page: