• Page:

TOPIC:

electrical problem 01 Oct 2007 13:32 #173985

• BoZ650
  • BoZ650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 77 KZ650 with 4 to1 and pods,Dyna Coil and Dyna S
  • Thank you received: 1
Ok 77 KZ650.Ijust put the engine in and hooked up all the wiring except for headlight and tail lights and all blinkers.I turn the ignition on and the lights on the guages come on.When I go to switch it to the run position all lights go dim.Where do I start.The starter button gives me nothing.Before dismantleing all was well electrically!Looking for suggestions.Thank You!
77 KZ650 With 4 into 1 header,Air pods,Dyna Green coils,Dyna S Ignition and WiredGeorge coil mod!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

electrical problem 01 Oct 2007 14:51 #173995

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
What condition is the battery in (how old is it, pos and neg cable connection condition, etc.)?

It sounds like you might have a wire (or wires) shorting out/not fully connected somewhere and drawing power when you switch the key to "ON", and/or a battery that's slightly discharged or has a sulfated plate.
I'd suggest charging the battery and checking it's condition first, then check all wiring and connections for probs.
It's likely something very simple, and will be an easy, inexpensive fix.
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

electrical problem 01 Oct 2007 15:07 #173999

• BoZ650
  • User
using a charged car battery on the ground next to bike.Hooked up with jumper cables.All conections seem good.Now that you made me think,I put aftermarket bars on and chose not to drill and route wires trough.Instead,I removed a section of the switches to allow the wires to ride on top of the bars.I wonder if that may be pinched.Ill look tues. morn when I get to the shop.I was so looking forward to hearing this run today.Its always something!!Thanks for the tip!
77 KZ650 With 4 into 1 header,Air pods,Dyna Green coils,Dyna S Ignition and WiredGeorge coil mod!

electrical problem 01 Oct 2007 15:09 #174001

• BoZ650
  • User
using a charged car battery on the ground next to bike.Hooked up with jumper cables.All conections seem good.Now that you made me think,I put aftermarket bars on and chose not to drill and route wires trough.Instead,I removed a section of the switches to allow the wires to ride on top of the bars.I wonder if that may be pinched.Ill look tues. morn when I get to the shop.I was so looking forward to hearing this run today.Its always something!!Thanks for the tip!

electrical problem 01 Oct 2007 15:37 #174014

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Ya know, I was actually going to mention the same prob I had when I swapped to Superbike bars on my 650.
But since you didn't initially state you had replaced your bikes bars, I figured it was diff.

So, when you swapped to the diff bars and notched the control housings to run the wires outside (exactely the same way I did mine), did you leave enough room between the right side switch housing and the master cylinder, and on the left side between the switch housing and clutch perch?
My bike kept blowing the main fuse (in the middle of the desert in 100+ temps, halfway to Vegas :pinch:).
It turns out the hosuings were too close on both sides, and eventually wore through the wiring insulation and caused the shorting probs.
I gave both sides more spacing between housings, recovered the damaged insulation on the wiring, and haven't had a lick of electrical probs related to that since. And that was two years ago Sept 17th.
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

electrical problem 01 Oct 2007 16:16 #174027

• BoZ650
  • User
Yeh you got my mind turning.Thats the 1st thing im checking tomarow.Hope its that easy.Ill see if they are too close.They probably are!Those superbike bars are short on space.Thanks again Ill let ya know.

electrical problem 01 Oct 2007 17:10 #174043

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
BoZ650 wrote:

Ok 77 KZ650.Ijust put the engine in and hooked up all the wiring except for headlight and tail lights and all blinkers.I turn the ignition on and the lights on the guages come on.When I go to switch it to the run position all lights go dim.Where do I start.The starter button gives me nothing.Before dismantleing all was well electrically!Looking for suggestions.Thank You!

If your ignition is the same as mine there are 3 positions,,, Off,, the next one is run and the next one is a bypass position which turns the taillight on and you can use the 4 way flashers and there is no feed to the ignition system for the bike to run. You aren't confusing the two are you??
Ride safe
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

electrical problem 02 Oct 2007 03:49 #174108

• BoZ650
  • User
I have yet to install the head light or any other guages or lights.All of those wires are disconected still.Just put the engine in and wanted to fire it up so I hooked up electrical to ignition and hand controls only.Do you think that by having all the wires for the lighting disconected that would cuase my problem?Thanks for your time.

• Page: