Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

first Z1..first problem... 24 Sep 2007 11:11 #172563

• MadKaw500
  • MadKaw500's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
have just gotten a '74 Z1 with a '76 KZ900 engine. was running and driving when I got it a couple of weeks ago. but went out to go for a ride the other morning, and the nuetral light came on for a second and then went off when I hit the start button. it gave a half hearted attempt to turn over, but once the lights went dark, it was over. getting on the bike that morning I noticed that I had left the headlight switch on, but that shouldn't matter when the key is off right? I put the battery charger on that day, and it took a good charge from the battery tender, had green light and everything.

but turn the key and still nothing, no nuetral light, no headlights, no nothing(I know double neg...). quite frustrating to say the least. so my thinking is that I have a bad ignition switch. maybe fuse, haven't checked those yet...so what do y'all think?:unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

first Z1..first problem... 24 Sep 2007 11:18 #172565

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
I would check the fuses first. Also see if you can get your hands on a meter and check the volts at the battery.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

first Z1..first problem... 24 Sep 2007 11:59 #172574

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
  • Thank you received: 7
Did you check the water in the battery? If all the chambers are low, fill them to between the lines with distilled water. I use a contact lens solution bottle. Then charge it again. If it don't hold a charge, it's shot.
Also, check your connections real good. Not only the battery terminals, but also that feeder wire that runs from the positive battery pole to the fuse box.
And did you try starting it with the kick starter? Sometimes there won't be enough voltage to turn the starter motor, but will have enough juice to fire your ignition system.

first Z1..first problem... 24 Sep 2007 13:34 #172596

• MadKaw500
  • User
did check the connections at the battery, did try to kick start it, not even a sputter. and no lights are on the dash even with the charger attached. thats what had me thinking about the key switch. its a maintenance free battery, so no filling it. I've ridden this thing 5-6 times since I've had it, and never even a slow start. it always fired right up. and it hasn't sat up since I've gotten her. just wierd. when I tried to start it that morning, the lights came on, and it gave a half a turn over, and then all dark.

first Z1..first problem... 24 Sep 2007 13:50 #172600

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
  • Thank you received: 11
Sounds to me like you have a bad ground. My 83 750 L-3 was working perfectly and all of a sudden it would not crank. I tried switching out all kinds of stuff and when I had exhausted all the possible stuff on the positive side I thought maybe I'd try cleaning up the negative side. after I snapped off the ground bolt to the engine I re-located it to the clutch cover and success, it started like new.
Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

first Z1..first problem... 24 Sep 2007 14:16 #172608

• patmann
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Already mentioned once, did you check the one and only fuse ???? You didn't say if you did or not in your last posting.
I would say you are on the right track, but I would check the easiest thing first;) Since it all went down when you tried to start it, it sounds like a fuse.
I had a wire on the back of my Z1's ignition switch come loose from the 34 year switch, so it can happen. Go figure..
But check that fuse and report back, THEN we can start tracking it down with you.
And NO it should NOT matter if you leave the headlight switch "ON".
Good luck, Pat
1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

first Z1..first problem... 24 Sep 2007 19:50 #172671

• MadKaw500
  • User
will definately check it next. I'm a paramedic and I'm on shift right now til in the morning. didn't really get to far into it yet. put the charger on, because it acted like the half a crank and lights going out was like the battery. did try to kick it, but like I said, nothing. thanx for the input, and I'm gonna get on that tomorrow.

first Z1..first problem... 25 Sep 2007 00:31 #172695

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Am thinking a typical 1/2 amp battery tender isn't going to re-charge a dead battery.

Would re-charge battery and have it load-tested. :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

first Z1..first problem... 25 Sep 2007 06:51 #172725

• patmann
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Your fuse is under your side cover on the right side if I remember correctly. It's been awhile since I had to look at anything under there.
It will be the white ( of all things ) fuse holder. It's the old fashion glass type. Even if it looks good, I would replace it with a NEW one of the correct size/ rating. I spent three days trying to figure out a problem like yours, only to find the fuse that looked fine was bad. It had come apart on the metal end cap:blink: and it looked just fine at the melting point ( whatever that's called ) in the middle.
Sometimes it touched and made contact and worked fine. The next second nada, nothing no lights no nothing:angry:
A fellow member suggested the fuse. And I knew it was good. How dare they think I was that stupid!!! Well guess what..I was that stupid and the fuse wasn't good, even though it looked good.
So all I'm doing is passing on a lesson learned.
Let us know what you find. We are here for you;)
And THANK YOU for your choice of vocations!! I for one am sure glad you guys are out there.
Pat
After rereading your first post... IF it did not all go at once, and it did turn over slowly then nothing. I tend to lean towards the battery too. As Patton said, FULLY charge it, then load test it.
But do check/ change the fuse too.

Post edited by: patmann, at: 2007/09/25 09:59
1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

• Page: