Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

E3 Sparkplug Advantage 20 Sep 2007 09:35 #171764

• onanysunday
  • onanysunday's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've recently installed these plugs on my '79 KZ1000 ST with noticeable improvement over NGK. Anyone else had the opportunity of using these plugs and comparing them to the NGK B8ES? The direct conversion for this plug is part# E3.30 I am skeptical when it comes to claims of a "better spark plug" I have tried just about everything on the market, but with very little results to show for it. However, these plugs are better than anything else I've tried, including NGK V-Power, Iridium, Splitfire, Bosch Platinum 4 (as well as a host of others). Open flame kernel design and multiple firing paths on this plug achieve what Splitfire dreamed about but could never accomplish. Less fuel consumption/emissions and more combustion efficiency & power at the crank. More technical data on their exhaustive testing and research can be found here: www.e3sparkplugs.com

Post edited by: onanysunday, at: 2007/09/20 13:24
79 KZ1000 E-1
VM28SS
K&N Pods

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

E3 Sparkplug Advantage 20 Sep 2007 12:07 #171791

• bill_wilcox100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Good stuff! Where did you get them and how much did it cost you?

I was about to change the plugs in my VW last week when I noticed that the previous owner had installed these three prong plugs and they still looked good... so I kept them and returned the others. This motor works far too well for its 250 Km so, I'm not fixing what's not broke. ;)

By the way, any chance of getting your year, model and location in your signature.

Thanks again for the heads up. :)
1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

E3 Sparkplug Advantage 20 Sep 2007 12:33 #171797

• onanysunday
  • User
These plugs can be found at: Checker, Autozone, Pep Boys. Home Depot was also supposed to carry them according to the E3 website but apparently they didn't have any. Since the NGK B8ES is popularly used for motorcycles and is not always readily available on the shelf, chances are you're going to have to special order its replacement, the E3.30. Mine took only a couple days to arrive from Phoenix. I've also recently installed E3 plugs on my 1986 Nissan 300ZX Turbo with similar results. These plugs are giving better performance than the NGK Iridiums I took out!

Normally, I'm against the idea of putting non-NGKs in a Japanese engine. Experience has shown this rarely, if ever works. However, the E3 is superior to any other plug I have used for any foreign or domestic automobile.

E3 has a cross-reference chart on their website that unfortunately does not index all of their conversions. However, they have excellent customer service through email. Brad wrote back in less than a day and was able to give me the NGK B8ES cross-reference I was unable to find on their website. These cost around $6 per plug. Highly recommended. Already, I'm seeing an increase in mpg that will pay for their additional cost in short order. Also, now I have no hesitation in red-lining. The engine seems to be running smoother and just doesn't want to quit and keeps revving out higher RPMs. RPM's have smoothed out a bit at idle. Good luck. Let me know if anyone else is getting similar results.

1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST E-1
12,000 original miles, pods, E3 spark plugs
Santa Fe, NM

Post edited by: onanysunday, at: 2007/09/20 15:35
79 KZ1000 E-1
VM28SS
K&N Pods

E3 Sparkplug Advantage 20 Sep 2007 12:39 #171799

• Cactus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
The spark effeciency is no doubt identical to other plugs, as we all know the spark is lazy and goes the easiest route, it won't spark on all 3 electrodes, BUT with 3 electrodes you take up space in the chamber and have better compression it's that simple (+ the plugs are new and clean so they are bound to seem a little better at first).

E3 Sparkplug Advantage 20 Sep 2007 12:40 #171800

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
Spark plug concept: The energy used in a spark to ignite the air/fuel mixture, is less when there are sharp edges for it to jump to. New spark plugs have the sharp edges, and when they age, start getting rounded off more so on the electrode. This will use more energy to jump from to creat a spark, and therefore you'll end up with a weaker spark.

Different types of plugs are the split-fire. This type doesn't split the spark, it just gives additional edges for the spark to jump to. U-Groove plugs do the same thing.

I use NGK Iridium Plugs, and the center electrode is a fine point. Even when it wears, it's still pointed, resulting in less energy used to make the spark. Those plugs you have there have multiple edges to arc from. I don't have any experience with them, but I'll stick with the Iridium Plugs for now. Works for me.

These are just my opinions.
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

E3 Sparkplug Advantage 20 Sep 2007 12:54 #171803

• onanysunday
  • User
Supposedly, the E3 is reported to maintain a sharper side electrode for a longer period of time compared to traditonal plugs because they have multiple sharp side electrodes to spark to. The spark will always take the path of least resistance and will NOT spark to multiple edges simultaneously. If one of the side electrodes starts losing its sharpness (comparatively) the center electrode will automatically spark to the next available sharper side electrode. Because of this, their overall integrity and sharpness is maintained well into the lifespan of the plug. I cannot personally attest to the longevity of these plugs. After I put a fair amount of wear on them, I'll let you know how they are holding up in the long-run.

The only real way to test this out is to try them and come to your own conclusions. I know I did on two different vehicles, and I am glad I gave 'em a chance. See for yourself. It is an interesting experiment and will only set you back about $30.

However, I can't imagine they would stay as sharp as iridiums for as long, but on the plus side, you'll have less spark quelching and will burn a much higher percentange of gas vapor within the combustion chambers.

The only reason I bought these was to spend less money at the pump! Gas prices are totally unreasonable these days.. However, as it turns out, there are other benefits associated with less fuel consumption such as a cleaner, more complete burn carried out through more efficient combustion. The irony here is that you are actually getting better engine performance from using less fuel (more efficiently)

Check out the website. I have never seen as much supporting evidence out there for any other design.

Post edited by: onanysunday, at: 2007/09/24 13:32
79 KZ1000 E-1
VM28SS
K&N Pods

E3 Sparkplug Advantage 21 Sep 2007 09:17 #171973

• Cactus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
You guys are worried about the price of gas / petrol, get over to europe 1.40euros a litre!!!!

My wife drives our '98 Ford Fiesta 1.3 zetec, the plugs in this are to be changed every 180 000 kms, I'm at 95 000 kms and they are still going. A good set of plugs at the right temperature, even in a bike, will last a long time if the rest is set up correctly.

E3 Sparkplug Advantage 21 Sep 2007 18:28 #172078

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
What me worried about gas prices? I'm selling a 19-24 mpg RX7 and putting that money into a 1973 Dodge 360 4X4 that should get about 14 mpg. I'm more concerned with power at the pedal/throttle when I want it, rather than gas mileage.
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

E3 Sparkplug Advantage 21 Sep 2007 19:07 #172086

• flht1997
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Christ! my 74' Dodge 318 4x4 never cracked 10mpg, if she would have gotten 14 i would have kept it. :)
Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

• Page: