Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Not Starting 17 Sep 2007 10:03 #171112

• jchunt
  • jchunt's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
OK here's the run down. Had my bike, 78 KZ750B, laid up for a week replacing the throttle cables, syncing the carbs and replacing a few rusted pieces of hardware. On Sun, I had everything running smooth, shut it down ready to go out riding the next day. Next day it was POURING rain! All day. Unfortunately I was at work and couldn't cover the bike, but it's been rained on before.

Next day I went to ride it and it cranked over a few times before the battery died. Since it had been sitting for a week I put the charger on it. Next day, good strong battery (checked with a tester) But the starter didn't turn the engine over past the compression. I cleaned all the contacts going from the battery to the starter lead and tested the starter switch. After doing this the starter turned the engine over no problem, but it would not fire! Engine turned over till the battery ran down, plugs had fuel on them, and plugs showed a spark when grounded against the engine case. Since I had been syncing the carbs, I pulled them off and made sure there were no plugs in the passages, fuel/air needles were adjusted properly. Charged the battery up again and, nothing. Thinking that I had some sort of electrical problem I started going over the wiring harness, checking connections, looking for frays, checking the point gap, etc. Two unusual things I found:
1. The 20 amp fuse in the fuse box was cracked but not blown. The plastic holders for the fuse were melted at the ends. I replaced the fuse.
2. The points were adjusted properly but when I turned the engine over it looked like there was a constant arcing between the points, even at the widest gap. I don't remember that being like that, but don't know what could cause it.

That's all I have for now, if someone has some ideas I could really use it so that I can enjoy this great weather. What kind of electrical problem can I have that doesn't affect the starter motor, and gives you a spark at the plugs, but won't allow the engine to start?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Not Starting 17 Sep 2007 10:40 #171118

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
:unsure: :unsure: Water-soaked pods allowing moisture sucked into combustion chamber??? :unsure: :unsure:
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Not Starting 17 Sep 2007 10:56 #171119

• jchunt
  • jchunt's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Standard airbox, plus it's been a week of perfect weather since it rained, so I would hope that any water has evaporated.

• Page: