Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

DESPERATELY in need of a starter motor!....(resolved) 12 Sep 2007 11:45 #170172

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • RetroRiceRocketRider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Normally I wouldn't post a wanted ad here in the forums, but I'm running out of time in trying to have my ZN700 up and running before BikeFest on September 27th and I keep running into setbacks. :(

After installing new intake boots, the repaired/cleaned/adjusted carbs, and replacing the leaky valve cover gasket and cam plugs I tried starting the bike.
Initially it did start, but after that the starter relay would just click and the starter won't turn over (battery is fully charged/tests good and all electrical connections are clean and tightened).
I did hear a faint "gurgling" sound coming from the starter motor, so I removed and disassembled it to find it full of oil:huh:. I also noticed that 3 of the starter brushes were severly worn, the 4th brush broken in half, and the contact point on the armature is IMHO worn beyond a serviceable limit. :pinch:

So basically I need a "new" starter.
Here's the part numbers and models of the two available starters that will be a direct fit for my ZN700:

(Original part#)
21163-1053:
'84/'85 ZN700-A1/A2 (LTD)
'91~93 ZR750-C1~C3 (Zephyr)
'83~'85 ZX750-A1~A3 (non-Turbo GPz - I imagine the Turbo model uses a high-torque starter, so it just might work)

(New part#)
21163-1022:
2000 ZR750-F2 (ZR-7)
'01~'03 ZR750-H1~H3 (ZR-7S)
'04~'05 ZR750-H4~H5 (Canadian model only ZR7)

I'm currently watching a "tested good" starter motor on eBay with a low starting bid, but the auction doesn't end for another 6+ days.
I really NEED to get this bike back together and on the road to make sure there's no other probs before I make the looooong trip to Vegas in just under 3 weeks.

So, does anyone have a (good, useable) starter motor for one of the above listed models that they'd be willing to sell to me?

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/09/12 19:58
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DESPERATELY in need of a (GOOD) replacement starter motor! 12 Sep 2007 13:47 #170187

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
have you tried a online bone yard search, when you fill out the info it goes out to a lot of yards, I have got a few parts this way, may not be the beast price in the world, but they have the parts most of the time
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

DESPERATELY in need of a (GOOD) replacement starter motor! 12 Sep 2007 16:57 #170218

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • RetroRiceRocketRider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
I went the on-line boneyard route before which netted good results, but unfortunately they wanted almost the same amount for used parts that I could buy new parts for. :angry:

I did however swap the starter motor over from the KZ650D SR that I bought recently off of eBay.
The major diff between them is where the cable attaches to the stud on the starter motor itself - on the ZN it's on the far end away from the engine, on the KZ it's on the opposite end and closer to the engine = angle the cable so it's not grounding out on the motor and we have an engine that turns over now! :woohoo:

Next in the line of "fix-one-thing-and-find-something-else-in-need-of-repair/replacement".....the #1/#4 ignition coil isn't putting out any spark. I checked it out and found a nice long crack on the backside running the length of the coil......aggghhhh! :S

This "revelation" on the dead coil would probably explain why my bike seemed to lose power after running at high speeds for an extended time, then run fine again after I let the bike (actually the coil in this case) cool down.
Well, there is a silver lining to this cloud...at least the coil died now instead of midway (desert, Joshua trees, lizards, scorpions, did I mention desert?) to Vegas in 100+ degree temps! :ohmy:

Now the search is on for a good #1/#4 ignition coil (21121-1027) to at least be able to attend BikeFest on the ZN.
Money is tight right now, or else I'd just buy two new coils at Z1E.
If I do OK in Vegas though, new coils will be one of the first things I buy when I get back.
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

• Page: