Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

spark lead wire 02 Sep 2007 11:33 #167983

• squints
  • squints's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
is there anyway to change out one lead wire for another without relpacing the entire coil/wires unit? My #3 wire is done. any help?
traded my classic Kz's for a 2001 Kz1200r

Upstate NY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

spark lead wire 02 Sep 2007 12:13 #167991

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Here's a splicer from Z1E. :)

splicer
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

spark lead wire 02 Sep 2007 12:39 #167995

• squints
  • User
idiot question:

what wire is the right replacement? 7mm supression? 8mm? red? black? whats the replacement for stock??

Upstate NY

spark lead wire 02 Sep 2007 15:21 #168040

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
After 25 years, plug wires 1, 2 and 4 may also be getting marginal.

Has the spark-leak test -- water spray mist onto plug wires in dark garage with engine running -- been done to visually check integrity of plug wires and caps? The oem caps can also go bad over time.

If feasible, new Dyna plug wires are inexpensive and come already equipped with caps. Likely the 7mm black color. I prefer the "solid wire core" wire as opposed to the resistor (suppressor) style. (Being unconcerned with radio interference).

Have an ohm check been done on the coil windings?

Back to the main question, if seeking temporary quick fix, am thinking could splice in new length of black 7mm plug wire with solid wire core.

Am fairly certain stock size is 7mm (not 8mm), but could be measured for certainty.

Good Luck! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

spark lead wire 02 Sep 2007 16:34 #168064

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
with a splice you could put a 8mm on it, but I think 7mm is stock, all mine are black but you can use any color you want, make sure to use solid core wire
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

spark lead wire 04 Sep 2007 08:38 #168434

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
  • Thank you received: 3
When deciding to get suppression or non-supression wires, does your type of ingnition system make any difference? In other words, does a stock electronic ignition system need supression wires while a points system could go either way?

I need to get new wires and caps for my '82 CSR which has electronic ignition. My coils have the removable plug wires.

I don't know if this is the right way to tell, but I tested my stock wires for resistance, and they measured 0. There was some resistance in the caps though. Does that mean that the stock wires are non-supression, but the caps are the resistor type? Or are "supression" and "Resitance" two totally unrelated things? :S

Post edited by: Skyman, at: 2007/09/04 11:40
West Linn, OR

spark lead wire 04 Sep 2007 19:16 #168583

• Norseman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, I'm still learning, but I can share a conversation I had just this morning with Jeff at Z1 on this topic. BTW, I have a 1981 KZ1000M1 CSR, so we're talking apples to apples.

Stock wires are 7mm. Supression means shielding other electronic equipment from the energy in the sparkplug wires. The supression is not to shield the ignition. A stock electronic ignition system on our older bikes does not require supression, unless you plan on installing some fancy electronic gizmos.

Call Z1 and get your new wires, $16.00 plus shipping. Easy as cake to install, but save the rubber compression collar and little plastic "washer" from the old wires - you will need them on the new Dyna wires.

Here are the technical rules when considering the various color wires: 1) Red bike = red wires 2) Black bike = black wires, 3) Yellow bike = yellow wires (yes, they may still have some in stock), 4) Blue bike = 1 yellow, 2 red, 1 black, 5) Purple bike = 1 red, 2 yellow, 1 black, and so on...

Supression and resistance are two different principles and issues. However, I'm not sure what you did or how and why you measured resistance in plug caps?

Now, the experts will chime in and debunk what this newbie just said:blink:

spark lead wire 08 Sep 2007 08:17 #169354

• squints
  • User
Here are the technical rules when considering the various color wires: 1) Red bike = red wires 2) Black bike = black wires, 3) Yellow bike = yellow wires (yes, they may still have some in stock), 4) Blue bike = 1 yellow, 2 red, 1 black, 5) Purple bike = 1 red, 2 yellow, 1 black, and so on...

:laugh:

ok, sounds like us three are all on the same page, we all have CSR's too, cool

Upstate NY

• Page: