• Page:

TOPIC:

What causes cracked coils? 31 Aug 2007 07:17 #167544

• riverroad
  • riverroad's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
  • Thank you received: 7
I've had problems with my ignition only when it rains. I hardly ever get caught in the rain, so I haven't really worried about it. Well, since I'm planning a cross state trip next weekend I thought it would be a good idea to look at my system a little closer to see what gets wet.
When it rains, I lose both outer cylinders, so tracing the wires, I figured it had to be my left hand coil.
I discovered a crack extending radially around the front end of the coil, the same end the primary wires go into it. I also looked at the R/H coil and it too is cracked, but not all the way through into the windings.
For my trip I just cleaned up the coils and smeared some silicone sealer around the cracks as a temporary measure. I can't test it until it rains, but I'm reasonably sure that this is my problem.
So does anybody know why both of my coils would crack in the same exact place? Age? Heat? Vibration?
I can't tell if they are the original coils or not, but the mounting screws do show signs of screwdriver abuse.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What causes cracked coils? 31 Aug 2007 08:06 #167555

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
id say heat and vibration are main causes.;)
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

What causes cracked coils? 31 Aug 2007 12:52 #167589

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
Thanks Plummen, that's kinda what I figured. But it's just kind of weird how they both are cracking in the same place, and I was wondering if maybe it was because of the way they mount to the frame. I was also wondering if maybe any of the aftermarket coils were cracking in the same place. Maybe they should be shock mounted with bonding jumpers (flexible grounds) installed? But if the aftermarket coils aren't cracking, I won't bother. After all, my coils may be 30 years old and it's about time they died anyway.

What causes cracked coils? 31 Aug 2007 13:49 #167594

• PLUMMEN
  • User
i always thought that was a stupid place to mount the coils with all the heat coming off of motor constantly baking them,i like them mounted under seat myself.;)

What causes cracked coils? 31 Aug 2007 14:49 #167609

• katjbus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Alot of times you can simulate the rain with a spray bottle, that way you can isolate where the water goes for more accurate repair

What causes cracked coils? 31 Aug 2007 15:15 #167611

• flht1997
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
here was mine on the 650. i second the age and vibration. heat does not help either. i just got a used set of accel coils off ebay and have been real happy
Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.
Attachments:

What causes cracked coils? 31 Aug 2007 15:57 #167615

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
I like that idea of putting them under the seat. But when I buy coils, they're gonna be brand new. And if I lose the air silencer, and maybe go to pods also losing the air box, I'll have enough room in there to mount a camper shell I think. At least a little storage box.
Thanks guys, mama's got her dancin shoes on. Seeya.

What causes cracked coils? 01 Sep 2007 11:00 #167751

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
One of my carb test bikes has a set of cracked Dyna coils... these coils are old; real old. They are cracked and the cracks allow them to short when it is damp or rainy. I fixed the problem permanently with JB Weld. The silicon won't hold up. Nor will liquid rubber (have tried both). The JB Weld is a very durable epoxy and bonds well to the plastic that covers the coils.

I think the cracks are a combo of age, vibration and heat. Heat is likely the real killer as it turns any type of plastic brittle over time and then the vibration probably works its damage.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

What causes cracked coils? 01 Sep 2007 17:44 #167820

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
Thanks George. I was out of JB weld the day before, so I just used what I had. But I picked some up today, and I'll be doing it over tomorrow.;)

What causes cracked coils? 01 Sep 2007 19:03 #167833

• modprod
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
riverroad wrote:

I like that idea of putting them under the seat. But when I buy coils, they're gonna be brand new. And if I lose the air silencer, and maybe go to pods also losing the air box, I'll have enough room in there to mount a camper shell I think. At least a little storage box.
Thanks guys, mama's got her dancin shoes on. Seeya.

Internal coil heat and age are generally the worst ememy of a coil. These coils will live probably 30 yrs in the stock location. Leaving the ignition switch on one time can cook them pretty good. If you put the coils back, say, "under the seat". Then you would have to run extra long plugwires back up to the plugs?? Hardly worth the effort in my opinion.

What causes cracked coils? 01 Sep 2007 19:13 #167838

• PLUMMEN
  • User
i just think about all that heat rising off top of motor having no where to but up when you are sitting there,even when you are moving theres a lot of heat consentrated in that area.theres lots of air movement back there behind those side covers,just ask anybody whose lost a sidecover.the plug wires are no big deal make a trip to advance auto parts and they will hook ya right up!:P

What causes cracked coils? 02 Sep 2007 02:46 #167909

• modprod
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Try to invision plug wires 4'+ long routed from under the seat? This is a no-brainer. Stock mounting location is just fine! Don't create a problem where one doesn't exist.

• Page: