Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

having trouble starting 26 Aug 2007 01:15 #166363

• armysgtkzrider
  • armysgtkzrider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i have a 77 kz650 that i just bought a month ago and no idea when it last ran. the start button does not work and the kick start turns the engine over but no start.
my carbs are clean and getting fuel so what should i do next?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

having trouble starting 26 Aug 2007 03:26 #166365

• gpzrox
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Welcome to the forum.

You need to check for your 12VDC at the ignition coils with the ignition on. Usually the 12v comes from the battery - through the key switch - to the aforementioned starter button - to the coils.

So if your starter button doesn't work, and you get no start, I'd look at the wiring connection for the wire bundle that runs down from that switch. You may get lucky!
84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

having trouble starting 26 Aug 2007 05:24 #166372

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Suggestion: If the bike hasn't been used in more than a year, before you continue to try to start it you should change the oil (if you have not already done so). Otherwise, once it does start you'll be pumping who knows what sludge instead of a lubricant and may cause wear that shows up later as other problems. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

having trouble starting 26 Aug 2007 06:39 #166382

• outatimeoutlaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Yeah man change the oil & do a compression check. Then check it for spark. Also how old is the fuel & what condition is the tank & fuel valve in??

having trouble starting 26 Aug 2007 07:09 #166386

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
By any chance is the kill switch not turned on? I ask because I have personal experience,,, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

having trouble starting 26 Aug 2007 07:13 #166387

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
Also, I just noticed this is your first post, welcome to the mad house. Not knowing your experience with a bike, are you pulling in the clutch when you are trying to start it with the button? When you turn the ignition on do the headlight, brake light and such work?
ride safe.
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• Page: