Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New Fuse Block Help 24 Aug 2007 19:46 #166164

• Norseman
  • Norseman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I decided to upgrade to ATC (blade) fuses/block, and bought the 8-circuit (my bike already uses 6) from Wiringproducts. It arrived today, and I began the mod. When removing the old fuse block, I started thinking it would be nice to keep it intact and make my own harness/quick-connect for the new block.

My problem is I can't find the type of quick-connect (for the block-side that goes behind the panel) anywhere on the internet (I need the female side).

Have any of you ever had occasion to buy one, and if so, where are they found?

Also, I did the WG coil mod that added a 30amp fuse, and I did install the inline fuse holder WG recommended. However, it would be great to incorporate it into the new fuse block. The description of the new fuse block says "Max load capacity for all circuits combined is 80 amps." Is that a seriously critical number, or could the block take 100amp? I ask because most manufacturers under-rate their products grossly to cover their liability. Right now the total amp is (1)30amp, and (4)10amp for a total of 70amp. If 80amp is truly the max, I'll keep the new coil mod fuse separate, but I figured it can't hurt to ask (except looking like a dufus).

Appreciate any advice here...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Fuse Block Help 24 Aug 2007 21:47 #166183

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
The fuses are there to protect the wiring system. Stay with the sizes of the original fuses to save your wiring. I don't know what the 1000 uses but the 650 had a 20 amp main fuse and 2 10 amp fuses for the headlite and brake light.
I use a 30 amp fuse for the main and it splits to 3 10 amps fuses. One for the coil mod, one for the headlite and one for the brake light.
For your own sake rethink you wiring needs.
Ride safe.

Post edited by: The Milkman, at: 2007/08/25 00:49
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

New Fuse Block Help 24 Aug 2007 22:30 #166186

• Rickman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Norseman, You can't trust it to have more than enough overhead to run 80A continuously.

Where'd you get it - do they have a 100A version? I'll be looking for one of those when I change mine over.

thanks
Rick
1983 KZ1100-L1 "LTD Shaft"
Wiseco 10.5:1 1171 piston kit, bored by APE
Dyna 2000, Dyna S, Dyna grey coils, WG coil power mod, CB900 starter

New Fuse Block Help 24 Aug 2007 23:03 #166188

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
even though chances are very slim you will ever load every circuit to its max at same time,id say run it seperate to be safe.the circuits you have now are rated for the capacity of the wire,not the constant load that is placed on them.;)
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

New Fuse Block Help 25 Aug 2007 07:45 #166225

• Norseman
  • Norseman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks so much for responding and the advice, which I will follow. Not having much experience or knowledge in electrical/electronics/circuitry, I appreciate your assistance!

My KZ1000 has a 30amp main and 4 10amp circuits. I'll keep the new additional coil mod 30amp separate, which then gives me one open 10amp circuit for any future use or accessory, which is cool.

Rickman, I purchased mine at www.wiringproducts.com/. They have a couple of Ganged Fuse Blocks that do not state max amps, but other than that, I couldn't find anything greater than 80amps.

Thanks again for the mini-lesson, guys. BTW, I did find the 6-pin quick-connector at Z1, they have a slew of different ones very affordably priced.

Post edited by: Norseman, at: 2007/08/25 11:00

• Page: