Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ignition switch replacement...tips? 20 Aug 2007 12:55 #165189

• ericvm
  • ericvm's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
The previous owner crammed a screwdriver or something in the ignition, probably 'cause he lost his key. Right now it works with any key.

I want to replace the switch. Found one on Z1. How involved is this? and how do I get the dash apart? Any tips from someone who has done this?

The gas tank cap is the same way. I'm not as worried about people stealing my gas though...
\'82 Gpz 750 (KZ 750 R)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ignition switch replacement...tips? 20 Aug 2007 13:01 #165191

• mariozappa
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I think on the old 70's bikes the gas cap always worked with any key (or screw driver).

For you ignition, you proabably have to remove (or at least partially undo) the headlight bucket.
Remove the instument cluster and you ignition should be right there in the open.
There will be one connection in the headlight bucket for your ignition.

Hope that helps.
1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

Ignition switch replacement...tips? 20 Aug 2007 14:16 #165216

• 810gpz750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
just replaced my key switch it isnt very involved just time consuming. i got a switch off an 83 kz750 for my 84 gpz750. i assume the removal of the switch would be similiar to your kz1000 you need 5mm allem to get the 2 bolts out of the bottom of the switch you will have to open the headlight bucket to gain access to the connection. all in all to r&r took about 1 1/2 hours. note if you use a similiar switch use your electronics on the new switch. my switch didnt work with the kz750 elec. so i switched to mine. make sure you index the switch right. hope this helps

Ignition switch replacement...tips? 20 Aug 2007 21:30 #165307

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Take off the headlight. You will see a black plastic cover for the back of the gauges with 2 (or 3) small phillips screws. Take out the screws. Unplug the switch from the harness. Unscrew the plastic nut from the ignition. Pop the ignition out. Replace with he new one. Pretty easy. I'm sure I missed something in there but you will see when you get it apart. BTW you might want to think about replacing the idiot bulbs while your in there.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

• Page: