Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hot Alternator Wire Connections 20 Aug 2007 07:34 #165101

• drkaw
  • drkaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
1982 KZ 750 E2 - I soldered in a blade-type fuse connector and eliminated a connection in the positive lead from the battery to the ignition switch. I also disassembled the ignition switch and cleaned the contacts. The conncections in the primary fuse circuit were hot to the touch but this remedied that problem.

After this I found that the bullet-type connections in the brown wire and black wire from the regulator/rectifier were hot to the touch. I had previously replaced the connection in the ground wire but the plastic in the connector had melted - simply replacing the connector didn't solve that problem. I cleaned the end of the wire with contact cleaner before crimping on new connectors, the flat type instead of the round. That fixed that problem, no warm connections.

So now I checked voltage from indiviual alternator circuit, all 55 volts AC, the spec is 50 so this is good. But the connector plug at the regulator/rectifier and the three yellow connectors from the alternator are warm to the touch. Is this normal? The regualtor/rectifier was replaced with a new unit from Z1 Enterprises last summer.

Another question - after making these changes to the wiring I checked dc voltage to the battery at 4,000 rpm and get a reading of just under 14 volts, but before making the changes the voltage was about 14.5 volts - does this make sense?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: