Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Harness routing 16 Aug 2007 13:20 #164287

• violentvintagecycles
  • violentvintagecycles's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey guys, me again, same question again. 82 KZ550 A3. Got it as a junker, with title, needed a wiring harness. Got the wiring harness, since been floating about 100 degrees here in jersey, about 110 in the garage so its just been sitting. Cooling off a little, would like to get started on it again.
I have a wiring diagram, pretty much know where everything is supposed to hook to, know what problems and different connectors i have to replace, but having trouble with the routing. Does anyone have a ROUTING diagram or clear pictures of the routing?
Also, I do believe im missing a sub harness or 2, the reserve lighting box is over the coils, but the connector for it sits way towards the back of the bike no matter how i try to route it. Am i missing a sub harness here and what else would it connect to?
Also, the generator cover is badly cracked, can i attempt to start/run without this cover? Seems no oil is coming out, is there supposed to be oil in here?
Thanks for any help, you guys rule..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Harness routing 16 Aug 2007 16:25 #164306

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
There should be no oil in the alternator. You can run without the cover (which also holds the stator), but you have no charging system. You should be able to run off a fully charged battery for at least an hour if you pull the fuses for the lights.

I've never seen anything above the coils. The reserve lighting unit is usually near the battery area. I remove them, first thing, when I get into a 550, so I can't say for sure where it goes.

Harness routing 16 Aug 2007 17:38 #164317

• violentvintagecycles
  • User
Thanks Loud, just want to see if it turns/starts once i get this harness thing str8ned out. That reserve lighting box is definetely above the coils, definetely looks stock, but your right in the fact that the connector from the harness is right around the battery box. You say you took it out? Not needed? What does it do?

Harness routing 16 Aug 2007 18:25 #164328

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
IIRC, the reserve lighting device is supposed to switch from one beam (high or low) to the other when one of the filaments burns out or breaks.
I THINK it also keeps the headlight off until the bike is started to conserve energy.
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Harness routing 16 Aug 2007 23:52 #164385

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I just checked a 1982 550 A3 Clymer wiring diagram and it shows the reserve lighting unit near the coils. That is noticeably different than the 81 D diagram I usually look at, so that may be the stock location on the A3 after all.

Yes, it can be removed and bypassed. If you need to know what wires to connect to perform the bypass, I can probably check into it. It's been a while since I've bypassed a stock harness, so I'd have to study the diagram a little bit.

Harness routing 17 Aug 2007 10:37 #164456

• violentvintagecycles
  • User
I have remnants of a gpz550 harness that the po tried to wire in, just enough length and the right connector to make it work, but it confirms what i was looking for, and thats that I am missing a sub harness. Ok, i aint crazy.. lol :silly:

Harness routing 19 Mar 2008 17:04 #201067

• violentvintagecycles
  • User
loudhvx wrote:

There should be no oil in the alternator. You can run without the cover (which also holds the stator), but you have no charging system. You should be able to run off a fully charged battery for at least an hour if you pull the fuses for the lights.

I've never seen anything above the coils. The reserve lighting unit is usually near the battery area. I remove them, first thing, when I get into a 550, so I can't say for sure where it goes.

Took some time to find it, but this was my original post about the stator cover.

• Page: