Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Starter/flywheel woes 08 Aug 2007 15:46 #162575

• jp650sr
  • jp650sr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
The starter on my 650sr is having some troubles. originally i thought the teeth on the starter were bad, but i pulled it, and both it and the flywheel's teeth are fine. i took the starter apart, and the gears on the inside are also fine. the problem is... when the bike is cold, trying to use the starter causes a bunch of clanging and grinding noises like the teeth dont make good contact. however, when the bike is warm, i can just tap the start button and it fires up. i just kick start it because its easy enough, but i figured when i got around to it, it would be an easy starter swap fix. if the starter is fine, and the flywheel is fine, where is the grinding coming from?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starter/flywheel woes 08 Aug 2007 15:50 #162576

• jp650sr
  • jp650sr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
after reading another post, it sounds a lot like what was said about a bad stater clutch. think thats my issue?

Starter/flywheel woes 08 Aug 2007 16:24 #162584

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
I'll bet it is in the starter clutch. I'd leave it be because repair means removing the engine from the frame. Guys have done it without removing the engine, but it would not be easy laying on your back in a pool of oil.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Page: