Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Can horn cause main fuse to blow? 06 Aug 2007 08:34 #162036

• strider
  • strider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Initially the horn on my 1976 KZ900 died. We tested the horn off bike and it worked loud and clear. When hooked to the switch it didn't work. We finally concluded it was the black ground wire, put it all back together and it worked fine.
After a few rides it began to beep continuosly until it was disconnected. When we looked at the horn the plastic piece was cracked and one of the connectors was loose. When hooked up the horn worked but then the connector will move and then no horn.
We tried to tape it up with electrical tape as a quick fix but on the road the horn started buzzing and then the main fuse blew.
I have a KZ400 horn I can swap it with-is this the same amp horn? Should we try to fix the original horn-if so, what can I use to repair that plastic piece?
My main fuse has blown several times before we noticed this obvious short. I'm assuming this was the cause for that.

Post edited by: strider, at: 2007/08/09 17:53

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can horn cause main fuse to blow? 09 Aug 2007 14:49 #162827

• strider
  • User
To answer my own question, the horn is 2.5 amps(it is in my owner's manual). So far the 400's horn has been installed with no blown fuse. Hopefully, that was the problem.

Can horn cause main fuse to blow? 09 Aug 2007 14:50 #162828

• strider
  • User
To answer my own question, the horn is 2.5 amps(it is in my owner's manual). So far the 400's horn has been installed with no blown fuse. Hopefully, that was the problem.

• Page: