Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

'nother gremlin 02 Aug 2007 21:22 #161473

• Beepy
  • Beepy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So I finally removed the huge fairing off my kz1000 Police (1999). I put an old bucket on it and used the orignal turn signals. Well it all worked great when I turned it over and took it out for a spin. Came back and now my signals do not flash and the tach and fuel gauge don't work. The hazards still flash the rear signal lights and the front signals are on like they normally are (but don't flash)

Its probably an easy fix, so I thought I would ask some of the experts here for an easy answer!!

Thanks!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'nother gremlin 03 Aug 2007 04:48 #161503

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Find the turn signal wires. They are gray and light green or just all gray. I don't know on your model. They may also contain a running light and if so, it will be a dark blue wire. There are a lot of reasons the turns may not be working. If one doesn't work, most of the time none will. Power goes through your turn signal switch when it is in one of the operating positions. The power goes to the flasher relay which causes it to blink and then back through the gray / green wires to the bulb holders. First thing would be to examine all you bulbs. If one is burned, replace it. Next, you might want to replace the flasher relay. If the bulbs are different wattages than were on the bike originally, the relay may not be able to handle this. Use a HEAVY DUTY relay... these are designed for trucks/cars pulling trailers. Next check all the grounds coming off the bulb holders. On the front, there are normally grounds attached to stalks via ground collars. These will plug into a plug in your headlight shell to connect with the main harness ground system. The rear turn signal bulb holders will have grounds that plug into the main harness ground. Make sure all grounds are clean and tight. At this point, if you still don't have turn signals, you had best pick up a test light... You can start testing for voltage with the test light along the path I described to find out where the stop in function is occuring. I like to use a test light better than a meter for this type job.

As far as the tach not working. Is it electronic or mechanical? If electronic, there will be a wire connecting the coil(s) to the tach... I am not real familiar but I would look for this wire and make sure it was connected. A manual might tell how to test an electronic tach. If the tach has a cable coming from the cam cover, then check the cable obviously.

The fuel gauge connects using a two pin connector connected to a similar connector under the tank. The only thing that would cause the fuel gauge to stop working if it had been working is that the thing isn't plugged in under the tank.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

'nother gremlin 03 Aug 2007 05:13 #161506

• kawsakiman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
ever just check the fuses?
someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

• Page: