Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

regulator repair 31 Jul 2007 17:54 #160977

• mooisthedevil
  • mooisthedevil's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
i need to replace the ceramic piece withe the wire wrapped around it that is located on the bottom of my regulator. does anyone know what it is and its values? i have a 77 kz650 b1 i have done the new wiring removed electric start, homade rectifier from design i found on here. and headlight/tailight only, dyna coils, electronic egnition.

Post edited by: mooisthedevil, at: 2007/07/31 20:59

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

regulator repair 01 Aug 2007 07:05 #161115

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
It is somewhere around 12 ohms when cold, but its resistance may go up as it warms up. Looks like it needs to be about 25 to 50 watts.

You may want to try to get a new regulator from www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com
The 77 650 regulator won't swap with any other year KZ650.

regulator repair 01 Aug 2007 10:32 #161146

• mooisthedevil
  • mooisthedevil's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
im sorry to bug you but i was checking out your diagrams and my regulator i think is not equipped with the dedicated output for the regulator. my rectifier has 3yellow wires and 1 white, 1 black. so looking at your diagram that looks like my 77 kz650 b1 which component is the (ceramic square cylinder with the wire wrapped around it on the bottom by the wire conectors)?????? it looks to be connected across the bottom from the ground to the ignition switch wire im guessing Q2 am i correct?

regulator repair 02 Aug 2007 07:50 #161314

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Tracing the regulator wiring is very tricky. The way it is designed misleads you into thinking the connections go to places they don't. You really have to disect it to see what is connected and what is not.

Here is the schematic for the KZ400 regulator which should be exactly the same as the 77 KZ650 regulator. But, like I said, I believe the resistor is acutally a ballast which changes its resistance based on temperature.

And yes, you do not use a rectifier with a dedicated output for the regulator. On this link, I have a design for a regulator that does not use the dedicated output. Scroll all the way down to the bottom. You can probably leave off D1A safely.

www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZvRegExciteField.html

I will probably eventually re-design this to use less parts, and smaller parts, but the parts proabably won't be available at Radio Shack.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/08/02 11:02
Attachments:

• Page: