Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Self cancelling turn signal?? 28 Jul 2007 14:42 #160335

• matts750
  • matts750's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I came across a turn signal cancelling box for a '81 KZ and bought it with plans to install it on my '80 KZ750. Of course, my Clymer's manual has very little information about the system and nothing that helps. Anyone have a self-cancelling turn signal who can tell me where it goes and possibly what other parts I may need to make it work?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Self cancelling turn signal?? 28 Jul 2007 16:01 #160346

• Samwell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
matts750 wrote:

I came across a turn signal cancelling box for a '81 KZ and bought it with plans to install it on my '80 KZ750. Of course, my Clymer's manual has very little information about the system and nothing that helps. Anyone have a self-cancelling turn signal who can tell me where it goes and possibly what other parts I may need to make it work?

do you know what kind of '81 KZ it came off of? Once you know that, kawasaki.com will have parts diagrams, you could nose around and see what else that bike has. If you can find one, the kawasaki shop manual would shed a little light on it.

hope that helps...Sam
--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

Self cancelling turn signal?? 28 Jul 2007 21:03 #160430

• Virii
  • User
  • I like cheese
Is that a mercury switch, out of curiosity? I assume so but *shrug*
Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

Self cancelling turn signal?? 28 Jul 2007 22:37 #160447

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Welcome to KZr matt.

I know the one on my ZN is operated by distance traveled and is controlled electrically in some fashion, so I'd imagine the one you bought operates the same way.
IMHO though, they are more of a nuisance than a help.

Mine cancels as I'm ENTERING the turn lane rather than AFTER I complete my turn, and at freeway speeds will cancel before I've completed a lane change.

I would yank it off and toss it as far as I could throw it. But I figure if I ever decide to sell my bike, it might fetch more money if the buyer knows that everything OEM is still intact and functional. So I simply unplugged it and left it bolted there to the bottom of the battery box.

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/07/29 01:37
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Self cancelling turn signal?? 29 Jul 2007 07:04 #160477

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Yeah, the distance-measuring ones blow.

I use one I made based on a time delay only. I like the time delay at about 45 seconds. It's just about right for a Chicago traffic light, but would be a little long on a highway lane-change... but better than driving 100 miles with the blinker on :)

When you say "box", I assume you mean the control box. Then you still need the handle bar switch assembly (it's pretty big) for it to self cancel. And you need a distance-sensor in the speedo gauge. But it's possible you can leave off the distance sensor and maybe it'll work on time-delay alone.

The actual flasher appears to be a normal flasher unit. You may want an electronic one, though, for a more consistent flash rate.

Click onto the KZ550C pdf file here:
kzrider.com/component/option,com_docman/...w/gid,159/Itemid,49/

It's the wiring for a KZ550 C which has the system on it.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/07/29 10:11

Self cancelling turn signal?? 29 Jul 2007 11:27 #160534

• matts750
  • User
I've heard some people who like them and others who don't. I frequently forget to turn the blinker off. It would be great to find an aftermarket self-cancelling signal that can be adjusted for time and/or distance.

Self cancelling turn signal?? 29 Jul 2007 12:13 #160544

• KaZooCruiser
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
matts750 wrote:

. . . I frequently forget to turn the blinker off . . .

Have you given any thought to installing an audible monitor (noise horn)? Sometimes they are hard to hear, but they can help when the signal lights aren't quite enough.

Self cancelling turn signal?? 29 Jul 2007 13:42 #160555

• Virii
  • User
  • I like cheese
I recently upgraded to LED's throughout and hooooola, it's nearly impossible to miss it when I forgot to turn them off. That nuclear yellow indicator on my bars is enough to remind me.

If you go that route and you do any nighttime riding, you may want to consider fitting secondary smaller output gauge led's or a lighting switch to cut them entirely. The output of the actual turn signals will remind you at night, I'm sure.

I had some mercury based turn signal cancels on my XS650. Maybe transplanting something along those lines might be a more palatable alternative?
Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

Self cancelling turn signal?? 29 Jul 2007 15:50 #160577

• matts750
  • User
I'm not sure what type of switch is in this module. It's a stock "turn signal operating unit self-cancelling" that came of a 81 KZ750.

Searching around, I found a self-cancelling turn signal, Kisan Signal Minder, that allows you to set the time at 8, 16, or 24 seconds and links up to the brake to suspend timing until after it's been released to avoid it turning off at a stop light. Of course, I haven't found any specs to indicate it will fit anything as old as a '80 Kawaski.

Self cancelling turn signal?? 31 Jul 2007 14:19 #160940

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
Virii wrote:

I recently upgraded to LED's throughout

How much did that upgrade run you, if you don't mind me asking. I was considering doing it.
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

• Page: