Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Improving the stator output? 28 Jul 2007 02:43 #160251

• Samwell
  • Samwell's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I've done a little digging on the output of my '78 KZ1000's stator. I can't find an exact output anywhere. The best guess seems to be in the neighbourhood of about 120-150 watts.

People have talked about re-winging stators or buying the over wound ones that offer 10% more output. These ideas all depend on a 30 year old permanent magnet (in my rotor)

What if we ditched our current setup and used a reasonably modern automotive alternator?

Here's my idea:
1. ditch current stator and rotor (don't throw away incase this doesn't work!)

2. Get one of these starter plates: www.kzzone.com/starterplates.html

3. Take out your starting motor.(Your kick start still works right?)

4. Find a small alternator that doesn't use a permanent magnet setup and stuff it somehow into the space occuped by the starter.

We could have it belt driven off of the starter nut(supplied by APE)

Besides all your harley buddies will be envious of your "open primary drive belt"

Is this nuts or do-able?

I know that field coil alternators need power to make power, but there's got to be one that makes 250-300 watts and isn't too big to fit in there.

Who knows, maybe loudhvx could make one!

later...Sam
--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Improving the stator output? 29 Jul 2007 07:19 #160481

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
That type of alternator is already on a 1977 KZ650 and everybody hates it. The alternator seems more powerful than the permanent magnet ones, but the regulators are old mechanical ones which suck, and the wiring is a little more complicated.

However, I believe I've seen what you are describing, and from what I remember, it did look cool as hell! :)

Improving the stator output? 29 Jul 2007 08:55 #160507

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Loudhvx, Correction: NOT everybody hates it! My entire electrical system (including alternator) has worked flawlessly since I bought my '77 KZ650C1 in April, 1977. I can't imagine a better track record for a 30 year old machine. (Having said that, it will now probably catch on fire and burn my house down ;) Please keep in mind though that I am not using any accessories that might place excessive load on the system. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Improving the stator output? 29 Jul 2007 22:49 #160660

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
I stand corrected. I hope your insurance is paid up. ;)

Improving the stator output? 30 Jul 2007 05:05 #160670

• Snakebyte
  • User
Over the past year one by one the startor wires burnt up. It seems like 30 years is the max on these systems do to some other treads in the past month.
Better find you a peice of wood to knock on.

Improving the stator output? 30 Jul 2007 06:34 #160683

• mariozappa
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8

Having said that, it will now probably catch on fire and burn my house down

Mine did catch on fire years ago. Wire from regulator grounded out...lots of smoke.

The 77 charging systems are different than the later models. Some do hate them....but not me. Both my stators (on both my bikes) work just fine. ;)
But like Ed said, I'm not running anything extra to pull more of a load from it.

So, is that the answer to Samwell's question? Buy and old 77 stator for more output?
1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

Improving the stator output? 30 Jul 2007 07:56 #160695

• Samwell
  • Samwell's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
mariozappa wrote:

Having said that, it will now probably catch on fire and burn my house down

Mine did catch on fire years ago. Wire from regulator grounded out...lots of smoke.

The 77 charging systems are different than the later models. Some do hate them....but not me. Both my stators (on both my bikes) work just fine. ;)
But like Ed said, I'm not running anything extra to pull more of a load from it.

So, is that the answer to Samwell's question? Buy and old 77 stator for more output?

Its probably the sensible answer, but I'm sleep deprived right now, so I'm gonna go with the cool as hell option! If/When I ever get it working, I'll post some pics.

Sam
--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

Improving the stator output? 30 Jul 2007 10:41 #160728

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Well, he'd need the stator, the rotating pole-inverter, and the field coil. It'd be interesting to know if that stuff even fits into a KZ1000. The 77 650 alternator runs dry, I thought the KZ1000 alternator runs in oil. That may be the killer on the idea.

I wish I could find that photo of the cool-as-hell option. No luck so far.

Improving the stator output? 30 Jul 2007 12:28 #160743

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
what about the external alternators like klasmo offers?those sure look cool with the external belt drive.
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Improving the stator output? 31 Jul 2007 14:14 #160939

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
mariozappa wrote:
Mine did catch on fire years ago. Wire from regulator grounded out...lots of smoke.[/quote]

Mine caught on fire 5 weeks ago. Krispy wires and rectifier. Now that it is rebuilt (home-made rectifier), it charges like mad. I think that I will be able to add the grip warmers this winter now.

The mechanical regulator does suck. A voltmeter wired into my electrical system shows the voltage fluctuating spasmodically. But it is now as strong as a bull.
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Improving the stator output? 31 Jul 2007 15:06 #160949

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Check the klasmo site.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Improving the stator output? 01 Aug 2007 06:58 #161114

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Qdude wrote:

mariozappa wrote:

Mine caught on fire 5 weeks ago. Krispy wires and rectifier. Now that it is rebuilt (home-made rectifier), it charges like mad. I think that I will be able to add the grip warmers this winter now.

The mechanical regulator does suck. A voltmeter wired into my electrical system shows the voltage fluctuating spasmodically. But it is now as strong as a bull.

Eventually you want to get that www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com
regulator.

• Page: