• Page:

TOPIC:

kz550 cafe racer butched wiring 26 Jul 2007 16:50 #159924

• jjdwoodman
  • jjdwoodman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
  • Thank you received: 1
Alright so I got the 1300 project today and there was also a 1980? (says 1980 on muffler, no plate) kz550 cafe racer. $50 took it home says it ran when they impounded it at a midnight race. so I put the Lawn mower battery on the charger, has no iggy switch and when I hooked every thing up, no juice to anything. someone yanked the primary power out of the loom and when I went to hook it back up, It's been hacked and spliced all over with duct tape:angry:

So my idea is to hook up just and on/off switch and try to get power to everything except the nonexistant lights and see if it really runs. but where do I start? have a wiring diagram out of my 77 650 but will this help there? I'm just totally frustrated on this situation.
77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kz550 cafe racer butched wiring 26 Jul 2007 19:22 #159952

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
Well another hour of tracing main power wire through duct tape and there's the well hidden power on/off switch! The other two are just dead. Battery's junk, says it's charged but turn on the switch and it just drains out of sight. but booster cables got it cranked right up. pretty tight sounding but won't wrap all the way up and stumbles under full throttle. I'll get a good battery on it and let you know.
77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

kz550 cafe racer butched wiring 26 Jul 2007 19:27 #159957

• Virii
  • User
  • I like cheese
Wow, was somebody doing some creative electrical upgrades or was it just a hack job? Sounds like a real candidate for a pull and rewire. I'm sure you're looking forward to that. ;)
Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

kz550 cafe racer butched wiring 26 Jul 2007 19:41 #159959

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
Well you know I was once 18 with a big roll of tape too...;)

It's a total hack job but I'm either gonna pass it on to one of you guys (gotta share the wealth) or convert it to a cruiser for my wife which mean front to back soldered loom anyhow (last thing I want is her doing anything except hitting the go button)
77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

kz550 cafe racer butched wiring 26 Jul 2007 20:14 #159967

• violentvintagecycles
  • User
Hey woodman, im working on an 82 KZ550 that had the same problem, butchered harness. Im nowhere near completion, been on the back burner for a couple weeks, but if you need pics or help gimme a buzz..I got a new harness, got everything matched up and isolated, need to route it and make a few of my own connectors. Theres a diagram available here, just not sure where to get the post. Good Luck!

kz550 cafe racer butched wiring 26 Jul 2007 20:56 #159983

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
Hey violent, sounds like a plan. I've made harnesses for a few tractors and older cars, etc, but I know the factory harnesses are easier. I just wonder if it would work with a modified frame. This whole bike is hacked up good so I don't think it's got vintage in the works. I'll try to figure out how to do pics and get some posted. Does yours feel like it's geared real low in first?

My wife isn't gonna ride it as a cafe racer, but my 650's too tall and heavy for her just scares her to death. Some thoughts there would be a lot of help. She likes the new yamaha 650 cruisers but that's not happening. I'm married to a first rate welder/fabber, so most anything's feasible. any pics would help too.
77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

kz550 cafe racer butched wiring 26 Jul 2007 21:12 #159986

• violentvintagecycles
  • User
I wouldnt know if its geared low, i got it without a harness and havent had it running yet.. Actually, to tell you the truth, I dont even know if it runs!! :laugh: I hope so, i put at least $200 into it already.. :blink:
I did ride one in 88-89 when i was in school at AMI, and it was a wheelie machine in first gear, no clutch necessary!
I dont have the harness routed yet, havent worked on it in a few weeks, but any pics you need dont hesitate to ask..

kz550 cafe racer butched wiring 26 Jul 2007 21:19 #159987

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
will do i'll probly pm ya. hope it runs. if not I'll email you an engine;)
77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

• Page: