Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Blowing Fuses 26 Jul 2007 08:18 #159801

• MrDonut
  • MrDonut's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Slight problem my 77 kz 650c blows its main fuse. It happens once in awhile if it stalls- usually from not being in neutral and releasing the clutch. Is this a normal thing? I'm new to biking and this bike.

Thanks for any help,
Jim
1977 KZ650 c1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Blowing Fuses 26 Jul 2007 09:49 #159812

• KaZooCruiser
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
No, it isn't normal for current flow to go so high that it melts a fuse element, when you stall.

There is likely a voltage carrying wire which is bumping a ground path when you stop suddenly.

I would pull the headlight shell and look for a partially disconnected wire.

And keep looking for a loose wire if you don't find it there.

Blowing Fuses 26 Jul 2007 10:37 #159835

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The fuse system on a KZ isn't very clever. The main fuse wants to blow before the smaller fuses usually. You have a bare wire touching a ground when the bike jerks. If you are very careful you might spot the location where this happens but it isn't likely. If you have access to a garage, remove your side covers and tank and turn the ignition switch on with a fresh fuse in place. Turn the lights off so it is real dark (headlight off please). See if you can get the fuse to blow where you can see a small spark; it is often very helpful to have an extra set of eyes for this... If you don't see anything from the side panel or undertank area, remove the headlight and see if you can see something spark in the shell. Change your observation angle as you do this so some component won't obstruct the spark.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Blowing Fuses 26 Jul 2007 10:47 #159840

• DrMotorBoat
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I had a similar problem and found (I think) that it was due to the seat pressing down on the positive battery terminal. I was missing a “bumper” on the bottom of my seat and the seat only touched down in certain situations. It only blew the main fuse.
1981 KZ 440 LTD

• Page: