Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

stator? 23 Jul 2007 17:15 #159010

• zaptaliptica
  • zaptaliptica's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i think my stator might be bad but im not sure can anybody tell me what the symptoms might be. the problem is my battery is not charging the lights dim when i rev the engine and the wires from the stator get hot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

stator? 23 Jul 2007 17:18 #159013

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
what kind of bike;)
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

stator? 25 Jul 2007 15:58 #159618

• zaptaliptica
  • zaptaliptica's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
1978 kz 650

stator? 25 Jul 2007 20:53 #159706

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Check the regulator first. The stators seldom go bad.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

stator? 26 Jul 2007 06:24 #159778

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
First thing to do is check the wire connectors between your reg/rec (or regulator and rectifier if they are separate and stator and main fuse box and battery... Separate all the connectors, clean and dab with dielectic grease. If that doesn't fix the problem, buy a small hydrometer (looks like an eyedropper) at an autoparts store and check each cell in the battery for sulfation. If you find ANY cell that isn't 100 percent OK, buy a new battery. Check the battery cables as well to ensure they are clean and tight. If these things don't do the trick... move on...

There are different types of 650 stator... not sure I understand the differences but if there are three AC wires coming off your stator, you can check AC voltages when the bike is running. Disconnect the plug that connects the stator to the reg/rec or regulator while the bike is running. With a multimeter, check AC voltage (meter must be in AC scale) in every possible combination of the three wires. You should get a certain amount of AC... if one of the checks yields nothing, the stator is bad (if there are no broken wires). The voltage level at idle should be about 50 VAC I would get any way you check it and quite a bit higher when you rev the engine to 4K rpm. Check a manual to get the true voltage specs. Anyway, if the stator checks OK, then measure DC voltages at your battery. You should get about 12.5 VDC at idle and 14.5 VDC at 4k rpm. If you get significantly different values, the regulator is suspect or reg/rec is suspect (depend on what type set up is on your bike).

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2007/07/26 09:27
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: