• Page:

TOPIC:

my bike is F'ed 21 Jul 2007 07:15 #158408

• Guy Incognito
  • Guy Incognito's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys
My bike's (1976 kz400) electrical system has been going haywire and I am at a loss as to what is going on. I have done loads of work on my engine and other such "mechanical" things, but I have no Idea how to figure out electrical problems.

On one of my rides when turning the front wheel around a corner, the whole bike shut down. I pulled over and moved the handlebars back and forth and the lights came back on and I could drive again. This happened a few times while riding around town and totally drained my old piece of crap battery. So I bought a new battery and put it in the bike. Everything was working well, my starter was good, lights everything. But the idiot that I am, I left my key in the ignition with the lights on for an evening and came out in the morning with a dead battery.
I got it charged again at the motoshop but when I put the battery back in, the starter wouldn't work, it would just click like crazy at the starter relay. Also, the left hand turn signal is buggered, it doesn't flash when I put the signal on, it just stays lit. And finally, the problem with shorting out the battery still exhists and I have drained my battery and had to push the old bike home quite a few times.

I don't really want to take it to a repair shop because I feel that they will just take me for a ride. I bought a voltmeter but have no Fing idea how to use it. Anyone have any suggestions of where I should start looking for the problem?
Anyone in Nova Scotia kknow much about electrical systems? ( a flat beer is my common payment!!)
Cheers
S.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

my bike is F'ed 21 Jul 2007 08:18 #158415

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
Well, to begin with you bike isn't "fried" or whatever you mean by "F'ed", :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: . But, your first statement about it dying while you were going aroung a corner is a good hint to start looked into the harness where it goes from the headlite/handlebar to the frame. Probably a broken wire or bad connector in that area, or a connection in the headlite bucket where all the wires connect or in one of the switches. On the 650 there is a big plug where all the wires join in a rubber sheath under the gas tank, don't know if your 400 is like that or not but probably is.
Let us know how you make out.
Ride safe
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: