Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

starter lockout switch 14 Jul 2007 14:04 #156814

• Kevin65
  • Kevin65's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
The switch located at the kickstand is not working properly. It prevents the starter from working and also the horn. As I cannot seem to find a replacement part, can I just jump the two wires? BTW the bike is a 1984 550 F2. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

starter lockout switch 14 Jul 2007 20:30 #156866

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Yes you can jump it, but I don't think it should affect the start or the horn. I thought it's designed to kill the ignition if you go out of neutral while the stand is down. Sounds like you may have more than 1 problem.

starter lockout switch 15 Jul 2007 04:25 #156909

• gpzrox
  • User
Loud is right.

In reference to the problem does your lights come on with the key on.
84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

starter lockout switch 15 Jul 2007 04:39 #156910

• Kevin65
  • User
The lights come on no problem, and with some jiggling of the wire the starter motor kicks in, although maybe something else is being affected during the jiggling process. When the problem happens it affects both the horn and the starter.

starter lockout switch 15 Jul 2007 08:38 #156932

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Unfortunately I don't have an 84 550 F diagram, only an 83 550 F diagram and an 84 gpz550 diagram. But it looks to me like there may be a faulty ground wire to the left handle bar controls. It's black/yellow and gives ground to the horn button and the starter lockout switch (on the clutch lever). But it should still start if it's in neutral, because the neutral switch will provide an alternate ground to the starter lockout (but not the horn button). It's possible that jiggling the kickstand switch provides a ground to the diode array, which then provides a ground to the starter lockout switch, which then feeds a ground to the horn switch to make it all work.

If you short the kickstand wires together does everything work normally?
Does the neutral indicator work? Will it start while in gear if you pull in the clutch lever?

The 84 models in North America have a bunch of lockout/diode-array safety circuits which can cause a whole bunch of mysterious and seemingly crazy symptoms. They can all be bypassed with a little research and time. If I had an 84 550 F diagram I could tell you what to do.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/07/15 11:42

starter lockout switch 31 Jul 2007 15:19 #160953

• Kevin65
  • User
Thanks everybody - problem solved. I held down the horn button and moved wires until it honked. Turned out it was the left handlebar switch, so I disassembled it and cleaned all the contacts. Nothing was obviously broken or loose but it could have been dirt. Also painted the cover while it was empty. Looks good and the bike finally runs. Two new tires and a safety check and I will be on the road. Again a big thanks.

• Page: