Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

82kz550 wiring questions? 13 Jul 2007 15:42 #156702

• violentvintagecycles
  • violentvintagecycles's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Whats up guys, me again with more elec questions. Got an 82 KZ550A3 with no wiring harness. The po before the po tried to hook up a gpz harness, unknown yr, model etc. I picked up a harness, the right one this time and still have a few funky connetion problems.Ill start with the sub harness coming out of the stator. 3 ylw wires coming out of stator, joins up in the sub harness with a light green and a blue/red wire. I believe the grn and blu/red wire is the oil pressure and nuetral switch? These 2 wires are grounded to the bottom of the case. These 5 wires are spliced (badly) into a 5 pin male connector that is colored 3 ylw, brown, and black.
The light grn wire goes into the brn wire, the blu/red to the blk. The 5 pin female connector off the regulator is also 3 ylw, blk, brn. Now, seems ok, but coming out of the harness is 3 suspicious wires that are blu/red, light grn and brown that i have no particular spot for.. Whats goin on there?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

82kz550 wiring questions? 14 Jul 2007 10:35 #156793

• violentvintagecycles
  • User
Anyone?? Please? :ohmy:

82kz550 wiring questions? 15 Jul 2007 08:48 #156935

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Looks like someone altered the harness. The 3-yellow stator wires do not share a connector with the green neutral-switch wire and the red/blue oil-switch wire.

The green and blue/red wires stay independent.

The 3-yellows stay together and go to the rec/reg through a 6 position connector which also has a brown (switched 12v) and black (ground) wire. (The ground may be black with yellow stripe.) One of the 6 positions is blank.

Sounds like a real hack job. Considering he took a 12v wire and tied it to ground, you're going to have to check and verify every connection on that bike.

I assume you have the diagram, if not you can find it here:
kzrider.com/component/option,com_docman/...w/gid,178/Itemid,49/

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/07/15 12:01

82kz550 wiring questions? 15 Jul 2007 11:06 #156954

• violentvintagecycles
  • User
thats the answer i was looking for, thank you very much! That is the only chop job I have, im replacing the harness as we speak.(with the right one). The stator harness was the only thing left over. Other than that, i have an ic igniter that has a wrong connector and the right wires, (female to female, as posted in another forum post), and a reserve lighting switch that seems to be miles away from the connector on the harness. Thanks LOUD, will be a semi productive sunday!
Attachments:

• Page: