• Page:

TOPIC:

Timing Advancer Won't Come Off 11 Jul 2007 21:11 #156282

• mind2find
  • mind2find's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
The story is:

I went to remove my timing advancer to disassemble, oil and grease it since it was rusted and I was getting some bad news above 3800rpm (stuttering, difficulty accelerating further).

And it won't come off. I removed the advancer nut and the 17mm shaft nut and neither the advancing mechanism nor the (cylinder? what's that word) will come off of the shaft at all. I put some moderate force on it from behind with my fingers. No luck.

I soaked it with WD-40 and had no luck after 10 minutes of soaking. Gonna try pulling it again this weekend. Any advice guys???

Pics are coming. Don't have the camera with me.

(oh and i'll include bique's previous comments on the matter...)

...At least I can work on my entirely rusted up and not advancing advancer, which I'll post about separately.

I had one of those. Soak, soak, soak in penetrating oil. Just don't destroy those little rubber bits on the weights! And get some grease between the two parts (the shaft part and the floating part). Oh, and here's one more thing for you to save you the stupid error I made... When you reassemble, make sure the center part of the advancer is on the right way.... you *can* install it backwards, and the bike, obviously, will not start no matter how many times you kick it in 95 degree weather... don't ask...
1976 KZ-750B1 (late model)
1976 KZ-750B1 (early model) Parts Bike
Boston, MA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Timing Advancer Won't Come Off 11 Jul 2007 21:32 #156288

• Voodoosoup
  • User
I got mine off last year with a rubber mallet/hammer.
Just a few light taps with a 2lb hammer should do the trick. Freeing it up from the rust was a whole different story!:P

Timing Advancer Won't Come Off 11 Jul 2007 21:57 #156290

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Not sure on the 750,but I would assume it's the same as the liter engines,and I would be very careful that You don't snap that pin off,on the end of the crank,hitting it with a hammer.
:pinch:
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Timing Advancer Won't Come Off 12 Jul 2007 05:15 #156319

• cnyl
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
I had the same prob with mine.. I was able to put it in a vice and lightly tap on the inner shaft with a mallet and a ratchet extension. I also used PB Blaster.
1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

Timing Advancer Won't Come Off 12 Jul 2007 08:22 #156375

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Just don't try to pull it all off in one direction. Do a lot of small wiggles back and forth, up and down. It's very brittle and can snap.

Timing Advancer Won't Come Off 12 Jul 2007 08:29 #156378

• mind2find
  • User
Point taken, and the rest as well. I tried bopping it gently with a rubber mallet but it hadn't soaked in WD-40 for too long at that point so I'll give it another try. I think it's actually rusted onto the shaft. :unsure:

I assume these things are hard to come by as far as replacing the whole damn thing is concerned...

loudhvx wrote:

Just don't try to pull it all off in one direction. Do a lot of small wiggles back and forth, up and down. It's very brittle and can snap.

Boston, MA

Timing Advancer Won't Come Off 12 Jul 2007 08:56 #156386

• Voodoosoup
  • User
I won a very lightly used advancer and timing plate for my 650 off of eBay. The thing looked brand new compared to my old one.

Timing Advancer Won't Come Off 12 Jul 2007 09:00 #156388

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Voodoosoup wrote:

I won a very lightly used advancer and timing plate for my 650 off of eBay. The thing looked brand new compared to my old one.

Yeah, but I think we're talking about a twin here. Those are different advancers. (They run abckwards :) )

Timing Advancer Won't Come Off 14 Jul 2007 21:09 #156875

• mind2find
  • User
Some knocks (quite a few, made me nervous) took it off after another WD-40 bath (which I'm not sure helped because the mating surface is pretty protected by the rim that runs around it).

Tonight it soaks in oil. The cam won't come off. I tried pulling it with some lightly tightened vice grips but it wouldn't budge. It did however free up the advancing mechanism as a whole. It took some force but suddenly the whole thing moved the way it's supposed to against its springs and back. I'll try pulling the cam again tomorrow.

All this rusting up resulted from a fall the bike took before I had it. The bottom of the lip that comes out around the timing advancer chamber cracked and they replaced it with a hack of drying putty which didn't do its job very well.

Bla bla bla. :blink:
Boston, MA

Timing Advancer Won't Come Off 15 Jul 2007 03:24 #156908

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
I think the cam only pulls off while in the advanced position. You have to rotate it then pull, if I recall.

Timing Advancer Won't Come Off 16 Jul 2007 02:46 #157074

• 76 LTD
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Glad you got it fixed . Now throw the W-D 40 in the trash and get some P-B Blaster.you will never use W-D again.

Timing Advancer Won't Come Off 16 Jul 2007 05:33 #157089

• mind2find
  • User
The opportunity to buy a new and useful chemical always comes as a welcome activity :) I'll try it out.

I was able to get the cam off, but not with my hands.

I had to put the actual cam in a vice with the advancer hanging out the bottom. I was able to tap the advancer out of the center of the cam (thanks cnyl B) ) using a copper tap so as not to damage the harder metal (good tool to have around).

So that's off but what I realized is I won't be able to get it back on by hand either. Is this normal? Should I have to use a hammer to tap the cam back on?

There's a ridge inside, clearly seen that it needs to be forced into.

Post edited by: mind2find, at: 2007/07/16 08:37
Boston, MA

• Page: