Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New coils 10 Jul 2007 13:49 #155997

• Nephlyte
  • Nephlyte's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • To do what is right is to know what you want.
  • Thank you received: 0
So one of my coils is kaput. I'm looking at buying new coils.

So, being the type of person i am, its time to upgrade beyond a pair of 28 year old coils. So i log onto z1enterprizes to check out the coils. And it seems there are several different types.

Now, i don't plan to upgrade the pickup coils or the ig ignitor(which are both working great).

1. Should i even get a pair of dyna coils?
2. What ohm coils or what type (dyna, accel, or emgo)?
1979 KZ1000 MKII, 1075 wiseco kit installed, 10.25:1 compression, welded crank, kerker header and custom paint.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New coils 12 Jul 2007 13:50 #156469

• 76 LTD
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Dyna coils work great and are compatible with the stock ignition.The clymer manual calls for 1.5 ohm coil for factory electronic ign. but a buddy of mine has the Dyna 3 ohm green coils on all his bikes and has never had a problem.3 ohm is recommended for point type ign.I used the 1.5 ohm red coils on my last 900 with factory electronic ign with no prolems after i did Georges power supply modifications.

Post edited by: 76 LTD, at: 2007/07/12 16:53

New coils 14 Jul 2007 13:48 #156811

• AK82kz440
  • User
I just purchased a coil for my 82 KZ440 at www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm
Looks like they have two different coils that might work for you on that page.

New coils 14 Jul 2007 14:25 #156818

• rmmech
  • User
Just to pipe in, as an option you might want to check out www.nology.com . With the kz1300 I ride, there aren't a whole lot of coil options. After reading up on my options I found these would be the best for me, and my mechanic found them to be the same.
The nice thing about the Profire model coils I got is apart from some custom brackets to mount them, they were small enough to stay in the stock location (they really dont look that much bigger than a spark plug - David Ewing has this image as an example up at his site kz1300.com).

Just wanted to mention another possible alternative.

Best of luck on what ever you go with.

• Page: