• Page:

TOPIC:

'82 KZ1100 Tach/Speed-ometer 15 May 2007 20:21 #140481

• Wilder
  • Wilder's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey there,

I'm looking for a replacment tachometer and speedometer for my '82 KZ1100. I'm looking for something nice and simple with a chrome bullet look. I've searched the web over and haven't come across anything that claims to fit my bike.

I would love to see some pictures of anyone who has replaced these along with the links to where they got them.

Thanks,
B. Wilder

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'82 KZ1100 Tach/Speed-ometer 17 May 2007 20:57 #141141

• Wilder
  • Wilder's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
So I've looked around and called around and emailed around to every parts shop I've come across and I get the impression that there is no easy fix for this.

Could I not just overhaul the entire system?

'82 KZ1100 Tach/Speed-ometer 17 May 2007 21:35 #141145

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Wilder wrote:

So I've looked around and called around and emailed around to every parts shop I've come across and I get the impression that there is no easy fix for this.

Some info here if haven't already seen it. :)

Z-Resto
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

'82 KZ1100 Tach/Speed-ometer 18 May 2007 21:07 #141404

• 01brian
  • User
Wilder wrote:

Hi! I have a 82KZ1100 too. the 81 and 82 were kind of funny years for the speedo and tach. I had pulled mine appart last weekend to repair the mount and realized that the system is not like the mechanical systems I had worked on in the past. From what I could tell, the odometer, spedometer, tach, and fuel gauge are all controlled electrically (boards). I suppose a new wiring system that matches the desired gauges would work, but I would expect a great number of new troubles....

Good Luck! and its great to have another 1100 on board!!!

B)

'82 KZ1100 Tach/Speed-ometer 21 May 2007 07:49 #141970

• Windweaver
  • User
I also have an 82 KZ1100 with speedo problems. From what I understand so far, the speed sensor sends a signal to the odometer, which then sends a signal to the speedo. So I would imagine you will need something that would be compatible with the signal sent by the odometer.

A friend of mine told me his brother took a speedo off of an 82 KZ1100 and installed it on his 82 Spectre (1000) and it worked fine...don't know if that helps.

If you find one (aftermarket) that lists other model KZ's, you could always go to the kawasaki.com parts list and check part numbers on it to see if it is the same part number as the 82 KZ1100 (Part # 25005 - 25005A for KPH.) Look under "meters".

Don't want to mislead you...checked the parts diagram and there are actually two different guage packages, so make sure it looks like yours ;)

Post edited by: Windweaver, at: 2007/05/21 10:59

'82 KZ1100 Tach/Speed-ometer 02 Aug 2007 22:37 #161488

• cardfanjim
  • User
Amen. From the KAW website, each part number is different for each model. Impossilbe! But it's impossible then to say exactly which ones do match. Careful.

I tried one that looked like it would at least have the same mounting points - wrong. Off by about a quarter inch.

Swap the mechanisms? Wrong again. The replacement one was about 1/8" deeper than the housing would accept.

Until I find another, I'll stick w/ my GPS.

'83 KZ750-F1 (shaft)

'82 KZ1100 Tach/Speed-ometer 03 Aug 2007 16:53 #161615

• Kiwiz
  • User
if the problem is they dont work as distinct from the housings etc being trashed, I have had one of these electronic speedos repaired when I fried the electronic internals

• Page: