• Page:

TOPIC:

more amps 12 Oct 2005 08:59 #1023

• thsmedley
  • thsmedley's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
is there anyway to get more amps from a charging system on a 1981 kz440a

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

more amps 12 Oct 2005 10:54 #1046

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
If you can you restore the original performance of the charging system... yes, you can buy new parts to replace the ones you have. If you mean can you actually get more amps than the system was originally designed for, then the answer is that as far as I know, there are two manufacturers of stator/generator replacements for motorcycles. There may be more but I know Jeff at www.z1enterprises.com sells electrical bits from one of these manufacturers (can't recall name) and Electrosport USA is another. They may make a unit (stator/generator/alternator or whatever correct term is for your bike) that makes more voltage than the original. If one of these sources DOES have a more powerful unit, then I suggest you chat with whoever is selling it to find out if your OEM regulator/rectifier is up to the task of converting it into 12VDC as well.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

more amps 12 Oct 2005 13:45 #1092

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I think "Ricks" is the name you were looking for.
Another way of having more amperage available is to switch all your lights (except the headlight) to LEDs, they draw considerably less power, so it would have the same effect as upgrading your charging system.
KD9JUR

more amps 12 Oct 2005 14:29 #1109

• philcsand
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
steell wrote:

I think "Ricks" is the name you were looking for.
Another way of having more amperage available is to switch all your lights (except the headlight) to LEDs, they draw considerably less power, so it would have the same effect as upgrading your charging system.

Alternatly, you could use an alternator!

Something that wing owners do is rig up an automotive alternator to run all the widgets they have, rather than fart around with the stock stator.

All you'd need to do is remove the stator cover, plug any oil passages (If the engine has them leading to the stator section) and mount a pully do drive a belt. You could probably fab up a mounting bracket prety easily...

Anyhow, food for thought.

• Page: