Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bench Syncing 23 Nov 2010 13:53 #413929

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2068
Looks like the carbs are working correctly except that the enrichner lever is not staying in place. When pulled up, it should stay there until you push it down.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bench Syncing 23 Nov 2010 13:57 #413931

• BIGKEVIN
  • BIGKEVIN's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I did notice that the level was not staying up. It would come back down by isself. It was working before I took the carbs apart. What do you think is the problem with the choke ?
1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

Bench Syncing 24 Nov 2010 14:05 #414053

• BIGKEVIN
  • User
Well I tried the choke today and the bike would not stay started. If I started the bike without the choke, but using the throttle, the bike would start, but if I pulled the choke up, the bike would stall. If I pulled the choke all the way up and try starting the bike, I would hear a lot of air being pulled. After starting the bike and pulling the choke up a little, I was expecting the bike to idle faster, but it didn't.
1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

Bench Syncing 25 Nov 2010 04:41 #414154

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
Are the starter circuit passages clear?

Bench Syncing 25 Nov 2010 06:36 #414170

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
BIGKEVIN wrote:

I did notice that the level was not staying up. It would come back down by isself. It was working before I took the carbs apart. What do you think is the problem with the choke ?

Would assure the screw is tight enough and that the screw, spring and friction washer are the correct parts, and that they are correctly fitted.

And won't hurt bearing in mind that we have not seen a pic of the carbs in question.

Good Fortune! :)

[Click on image to enlarge view.]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by Patton.

Bench Syncing 26 Nov 2010 14:26 #414309

• BIGKEVIN
  • User
I just pulled the carbs off again to look at the pilot jets because it wasn't idling right again and the pilot jets were clogged again. I had cleaned the carbs and the let the jets soak in gasoline for 24 hours before blowing them out with a can of compressed air. They were clear after doing that. I have them soaking again now and will be cleaning the carbs again tomorrow and blowing them out with a compressor. Hopefully this will get whatever is clogging the pilot jets out. The main jets are clean everytime I take the carbs apart.
1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

Bench Syncing 26 Nov 2010 17:20 #414335

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
ur problem lies elsewhere trust me, u have crap in system somewhere, tank, lines, whatever, drop back and punt,

Bench Syncing 26 Nov 2010 19:15 #414356

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
BIGKEVIN wrote:

I just pulled the carbs off again to look at the pilot jets because it wasn't idling right again and the pilot jets were clogged again....

After carbs are cleaned, no gasoline should ever be allowed to enter them without having first passed through a good aftermarket in-line fuel filter (see example shown below).

The coarse petcock screen filter alone is woefully insufficient.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by Patton.

Bench Syncing 27 Nov 2010 18:54 #414454

• BIGKEVIN
  • User
I do have a inline filter like the one shown between the tank and the carbs. I just cleaned the carbs and the jets again today and will be putting the carbs back on either tomrrow or Monday. I also noticed that I do not have a strong spark on #1 and #4 cylinders. I am showing the same voltage on both coils. How do you swap coils to see if it is the coil that is bad ?
1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R

Bench Syncing 29 Nov 2010 15:27 #414676

• BIGKEVIN
  • User
I have hopefully gotten my carb problem fixed. I cleaned the carbs this weekend and put them back on today. After putting everything back together, I turned the fuel on and noticed that the fuel was not getting into the see through fuel filter very fast. Drained the tank and took the petcock out and it was clogged. Cleaned the petcock and the fuel now flows good. The bike started up and seemed to run good. I'll check it again tomorrow to see how it funs after sitting overnight. Hopefully this will stop my idle issue.
1976 KZ900
2006 ZX6R