Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

True or false????? 17 Jun 2008 11:15 #220506

• another82kz
  • another82kz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I was talking to an older KZ guy yesterday trying to get some pointers on my trans issue and he gave me a set of pod filters. He tells me he could never get his bike to run right with them. He said "I had to tune it every day of the week just to ride the damn thing" Now I dont see how this would have caused a problem. Is it due to the differing pressures and not everyting being drawn through the same hole? I guess what I am asking is, is he crazy or would these also give my bike more problems then I need at the moment?
\"Its all just a bunch of nuts and bolts.\"

1982 KZ1000LTD
1974 Superbeetle
1999 Grand Cherokee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

True or false????? 17 Jun 2008 11:50 #220509

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
I ran pods for years and had no problem with tuning. The problems I have with them is crosswinds can cause goofy running problems as well as big rain storms can clog the filters. Other than that they work OK. The carbs are heavy and they cause the inlet manifold rubbers to go bad a lot quicker. This can be addressed by making a support of some kind to hold the carbs weight. Also a lot more dirt is taken into the carbs than using stock type box. Big advantage in carb removal ease is really the only thing I like about them.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

True or false????? 17 Jun 2008 12:17 #220517

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
another82kz wrote:

I was talking to an older KZ guy yesterday trying to get some pointers on my trans issue and he gave me a set of pod filters. He tells me he could never get his bike to run right with them. He said "I had to tune it every day of the week just to ride the damn thing"

I wish I had a dollar for every post about pods that said that.

another82kz wrote:

Now I dont see how this would have caused a problem. Is it due to the differing pressures and not everyting being drawn through the same hole? I guess what I am asking is, is he crazy or would these also give my bike more problems then I need at the moment?

It's because a bike's engine gets a lot of power by finely tuning the intake/exhaust flow. If you screw with it, you usually make it worse by changing the balance and have to change something else to compensate.

Going to pods reduces the intake restriction which increases the leanness of the engine, so you have to go to richer jets.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

True or false????? 17 Jun 2008 14:10 #220541

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
another82kz wrote: I was talking to an older KZ guy yesterday trying to get some pointers on my trans issue and he gave me a set of pod filters. He tells me he could never get his bike to run right with them. He said "I had to tune it every day of the week just to ride the damn thing"

Pods are not all that hard to rejet. I do it 100 plus times a year and while I might be old and crazy so it cant be all that hard. Stick some #40 pilot jets and #140 mains in there and you will be so close you won't need to change jetting with the pods on. Doesn't make an incredible difference what pipes you are using either. Old KZ guy indeed. Everybody USED to own a KZ and therefor must be a dog-gone KZ guru! bwhahahaha Geesh, I hear this at least a dozen times a week... my friend told me or my buddy used to work in a bike shop or my friend is a great Chevy mechanic and told me. If you need help jetting come here and ask people who own the dog gone bike. The WORST nightmare I was ever talked into was rebuilding an engine where the guy had let his brother-in-law, a ASA Certified and Lexus Certified mechanic rebuild the engine. All cam chain related bits had to be replaced, the cylinder head had to be replaced (bad gouges in one of the liners) and the pistons replaced... a CERTIFIED mechanic. hehe
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

True or false????? 17 Jun 2008 16:14 #220564

• FastKaw1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have run Pods for 35 years. Ge I hate to say that.
Ronkz650 Said it best. Cross winds and heavy rain
are the worst draw back to pod filters...

I like to use a Z1 air box now. It appears to be the most
reliable and easiest to install or remove for service.

XENU

True or false????? 18 Jun 2008 06:14 #220664

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The Z1 airbox is the best of the lot. Only drawback is that if you use one, you have to tie it up on the frame somehow or else it becomes more un-supported weight hanging off your carb assembly and you can ruin the carb holders prematurely from stress. The Z1 airbox doesn't have a lot of volume but is certainly much easier to use than any of the later airboxes. You can buy a NEW Z1 airbox; identical to the originals from Z1Enterprises.com
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: