Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Carb hoses where do they all go!?? 08 Jun 2008 08:56 #218710

• pburnhamb
  • pburnhamb's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey im new to this place and hope some of you pros can please help me. Ive got a 78 kz 650 i just assembled. i need to know where all the carb hoses go if someone could tell me in great detail. there is 2 hose connections at the petcock so i assume one is for a vac- line and one for gas. (not sure i like this setup b/c im religious about turning the gas off anyway) but want to get it running well b-4 modify anything to keep the variables to a minimum.

also i see an elbow shaped hose on the crankase (top) i assume its a vent, but should anything be connected to her?

thank you so much for the help.
1978 kz650b (810, 750 head)
1976 kz900
1977 xs650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carb hoses where do they all go!?? 08 Jun 2008 09:12 #218712

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
The bent hose on the crankcase would fit into the airbox. This is the crankcase vent and should not be plugged; if you have an airbox it fits at the bottom, if the airbox is gone then you can buy small filters made for this vent, or attach a hose and run it behind and below the engine.

The #2 and #4 carb have vents. They are on the left side rear of the carb. Attach a hose to each one and run them either to the upper airbox area underneath the seat, or down below the carbs and to the rear of the engine.

Like you said the petcock has two tubes; one is a vacuum and the other is the fuel feed to the carbs. The vacuum is directly in the center back of the petcock and a hose attaches from this to the #2 carb. The #2 carb has a vacuum port just in front of it's vent tube; this vacuum port actuates the petcock on and off.

The fuel feed line goes in the T fitting between #2 and #3 carbs.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Last edit: by OKC_Kent.

Carb hoses where do they all go!?? 08 Jun 2008 11:08 #218727

• pburnhamb
  • pburnhamb's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
WOW, this place is great. thank you for the help, im out to run the hoses and give her life ( i hope). thank you.-patrick-
1978 kz650b (810, 750 head)
1976 kz900
1977 xs650

Carb hoses where do they all go!?? 08 Jun 2008 12:15 #218736

• Locozuna
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
If you have an OFF position on the petcock you may well not have a vacuum petcock. In that case both outlets off the petcock are gas. DO NOT USE IT AS A VAC LINE. If you petcock has a PRIME/PRI position this is the case you do have a vacuum petcock.
KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Carb hoses where do they all go!?? 08 Jun 2008 15:20 #218764

• PFC FNG
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
  • Thank you received: 0
If you do end up having a vac petcock, you can convert it to a manual one by buying some vac-caps from an auto store, put them over the vacumn fitting on the carb and the petcock. Then whenever you put the petcock in the reserve or on position, it will function as off (no vacumn cause of the fittings) and when it is set to prime it will function as on.
I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

• Page: