Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

exhaust pieces question 11 Mar 2014 05:23 #624796

• crusierlover
  • crusierlover's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I am going to remove the vance and hines today and start trying to install the used stock exhaust today.I do not remember seeing any crossover pipe between the 2 sides.is it mandatory? If not i will probably have trouble finding someone to weld some piece to cover holes.I bought the exhaust about a year ago.I know I have to replace the mufflers, they are beat up.Then I will have no factory place to mount them from the muffler to the frame.I dont want some ugly strap that wraps around them.What do you all think about the mac 4 into 2 set?

Also, if I deciided to keep the v and h, i will need to install baffles.Some guy punched them out plus drilled holes in the ende pieces.I have no idea even once i install the stock airbox what jet changes I woud have to make.81 1000J.
Proud owner of 1982 650csr again soon. keeping it this time

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by crusierlover.

exhaust pieces question 11 Mar 2014 05:39 #624798

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
whats wrong with the Vance and Hines? Is it a 4into1?
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

exhaust pieces question 11 Mar 2014 05:44 #624800

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624
Without the muffler connector pipe, the exhaust system is probably going to be kind of restrictive.
You might be able to find a crossover/connector pipe on eebbaayy. Or maybe use copper pipe & fittings - someone here on KZR did a repair when his rusted out.

exhaust pieces question 11 Mar 2014 06:24 #624805

• crusierlover
  • User
I just checked.had to get the exhaust out of storage.It does have the crossover pipe in it.The vance and hines when the guy mounted it, he had to reroute the brake pedal.he welded heated and extended and bent it until it cleared the pipes.Then he heated and bent and exteneded the right foot peg till it cleared the pipes.Looks crummy and he bent them wrong.I hate what he did.The v and h will be fr sale once i get it off.you can see it here.

Attachment IMG_20130907_090759_2014-03-11.jpg not found

Attachments:

one more question 11 Mar 2014 10:32 #624820

• crusierlover
  • User
I git the z1 exhaust install kit and 4 copper gaskets.The exhaust I removed did not have the half circle metal pieces around the exhaust pipe and it fit up into the head and had no exhaust leaks.Now with the new collars, copper gaskets, it seems impossible to get all those half circle pieces in there too.Are they what keeps the exhaust from slipping out through the collars?

one more question 11 Mar 2014 10:42 #624823

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
If you are going to put on the stock exhaust I would HIGHLY recommend you install the cross-over pipe. Why fight it? :S It will improve the exhaust system's scavenging effect over a system where you plug up the holes, plus it will cost less to have the exhaust system correct than it would to weld stuff up. Just buy a new cross-over pipe (PIPE,MUFFLER CONNECT ) from Kawasaki. It is still an "Active" part, so any dealer can get it for you. Partzilla lists it at only $15.33. Ed
www.partzilla.com/search/?q=32032-1676&x=5&y=6

Attachment 00007_2014-03-11.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: crusierlover

exhaust pieces question 11 Mar 2014 11:47 #624828

• crusierlover
  • User
I dug out the exhausts.It has the crossover pipe, in very good condition.Pleasant surprise.I am needing to know, other than needing 4 hands, what is the best way to get all those pieces in place.Do ypou slide the mounting collar on first, then put the half circle inserts in, then try to lift the pipe up and into the position and hopefully the collars will fall over the studs.It doesnt seem to have enough room to get the pipes in place and collars on with both half circle pieces in.Must have to be perfectly stabbed into place with no margin for error.

exhaust pieces question 11 Mar 2014 13:34 #624835

• martin_csr
  • User
On my 81 650 I install the gaskets into the cylinder head first, using a little wheel bearing grease as a glue, & put the exhaust holders onto the pipes, then fit the entire exhaust system into position w the mufflers mounted onto the brackets ( without tightening the nuts). Place shipping boxes or something under the exhaust system for support. Then do one header pipe at a time, installing the half-moon exhaust collars & exhaust holders, lightly tightening the nuts. After everything is in place, I tighten the exhaust holder nuts by feel and snug them all up about the same (do not over tighten - a stud could break off). Then tighten the muffler nuts. After riding the bike, retighten the exhaust holder nuts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crusierlover

Last edit: by martin_csr.

exhaust pieces question 11 Mar 2014 15:01 #624846

• crusierlover
  • User
Ok, so the collars, the metal finned collars, that have holes that go over the exhaust studs- you slide them over the pipes or the studs first.If over the pipe first, then you lift the headers and exhausts-they are one piece-up into the holes of thehead.The copper washers are in there first.Then you slide the finned collars over the studs, then slip the half moon pieces in one at a time? If so, that is the problem.I can get 1 half mpon piece in both headers,2 headers for each side of the engine.But getting the other piece in seems impossible.You cant hit it with a hammer.If I place them inside the finned collars then try to slide finned collars with half moon pieces up over the studs together in 1 piece the headers with exhausts bind up, where the finned collars dont slide over the studs right.Without the shims it goes on easily, but then the headers just pull right out because there is nothing to hold them.So is it merely a balancing act? Seems damn near impossible to get all the things in there and onto the studs.

Last edit: by crusierlover.

exhaust pieces question 11 Mar 2014 15:01 #624847

• peter1958
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 198
I just use a rubber band to hold the exhaust collars on. They just melt away.

exhaust pieces question 11 Mar 2014 15:06 #624848

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Are the split collars (half moon pieces) the stock ones or are the ones that were used on the V&H pipes? The reason I ask is that some aftermarket pipes use longer ones than stock. I don't know if that is true for the V&H pipes. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

exhaust pieces question 11 Mar 2014 15:50 #624853

• martin_csr
  • User
Following up on 650ed's reply, the problem may be the half-moon exhaust collars.
Most 80s exhaust systems have shorter half-moons because the header pipes have flanges welded onto them. The earlier header pipes are flared at the ends, requiring longer collars... and I think aftermarket pipes are flared as well.

Last edit: by martin_csr.