Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

front sprocket 02 Dec 2011 10:22 #491079

• SCHWACKS
  • SCHWACKS's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My motor is out of my bike. how do i remove my front sprocket? I have the washer flat, away from the nut. It is a righty loosy right? Do i need an impact? I tried putting a large screwdriver in the hole of the sprocket and muscleing the nut off...but couldnt budge it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

front sprocket 02 Dec 2011 11:21 #491087

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 519
wack shwack! it's lefty loosy & righty tighty. on a Z1 KZ900 anyway. your not taking a Harley clutch hub off are ha? They have reverse threads.
Plus use a piece of old chain or your regular chain to hold it.
And a good metric socket 22mm or whetever it is. Don't use a close SAE socket, that's why all the ones I see are rounded off. Heavy gloves always work too. That greasy oil on your hands always tastes so bad when put that scraped knuckle up to your mouth and suck it, after you steer at it for 30 seconds, before it starts to bleed! ouch!
Nice tanget! Been there, done that!
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

front sprocket 02 Dec 2011 11:32 #491088

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Would consider --

Take the engine and correct socket down to the local tire store, along with a $5 bill or six-pack, and ask nicely that they try loosening the sprocket with the powerful air impact wrench used for lug nuts.

Applying heat from a torch might also help break the hold of any red loc-tite that was perhaps used when the sprocket was previously installed.

For next time, removal is best done before removing the engine from the frame.
Here's a neat way to hold the sprocket in position.

And be very careful if resorting to grinding/cutting off the nut, wear eye protection, and don't damage the shaft threads. A Dremmel tool, used very slowly and carefully, may be used to grind/cut through the nut.

A good sharp cold chisel may also help.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by Patton.

front sprocket 02 Dec 2011 11:52 #491092

• SCHWACKS
  • User
Perfect. I got a few tire shops by my house. A buddy at work seams to think its reverse threads??? I need to find out before I head to the tire shop! My motor is a 79 KZ650?

front sprocket 02 Dec 2011 11:56 #491093

• etbike3135
  • User
  • Thank you received: 50
What everyone said above is correct. Sometimes there is loctite put on the threads and it will be hard to turn off. It is not a reverse thread. I like to take the nut off before the engine is out so if I have to I can hold the chain with the rear brake. Good luck! Impact is the way to go.
1973 Kawasaki Z1
18 years in dragbikes

front sprocket 02 Dec 2011 12:13 #491095

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
If you have some spare chain handy you can make a tool without much trouble. Just get a stout piece of pipe, drill 2 holes in it, wrap the chain around the front sprocket, and run 2 bolts through the chain and pipe (as shown in pic below; note the bolts circled in yellow). Then you can use that to hold the sprocket while you use an impact wrench or breaker bar to loosen the nut. The threads on the KZ650 are normal, not left handed. Ed

Attachment CountersprocketToolPole.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patton

Last edit: by 650ed.

front sprocket 02 Dec 2011 12:23 #491099

• Patton
  • KZr Legend

650ed wrote: If you have some spare chain handy you can make a tool without much trouble. Just get a stout piece of pipe, drill 2 holes in it, wrap the chain around the front sprocket, and run 2 bolts through the chain and pipe (as shown in pic below; note the bolts circled in yellow). Then you can use that to hold the sprocket while you use an impact wrench or breaker bar to loosen the nut. The threads on the KZ650 are normal, not left handed. Ed

Attachment CountersprocketToolPole.jpg not found

Excellent! :cheer:

[Added this to the TOOLS forum.]
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

front sprocket 02 Dec 2011 12:25 #491100

• SCHWACKS
  • User
Man you guys rock! Thank you so much! I can't wait to get off work and go home to wrench on my motor, and drink beer! Forsure gonna make that tool, then head to the tire shop. For some impacting!

front sprocket 02 Dec 2011 21:43 #491173

• SCHWACKS
  • User
well i put the motor in the truck< drove around the corner to my local tire shop. dude put the air impact on it...zip,zip nut came right off! i have my new sprocket, im gonna order a new washer. so now...when i put it back on? should i use lock tite and go back to the tire shop and have him impact it on??? or just do it my self? im making one of those badass tools with the bar and chain no matter what (just to show it off!) big thanks to everyones input!

front sprocket 02 Dec 2011 22:02 #491179

• SCHWACKS
  • User
well shit, cant find a washer. the old one actually was notched in the center, like the sprocket? I just checked z1 and ebay? where can i buy a new one? or can i use the old one and just bend it up around the nut?

front sprocket 02 Dec 2011 22:58 #491190

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

SCHWACKS wrote: well shit, cant find a washer. the old one actually was notched in the center, like the sprocket? I just checked z1 and ebay? where can i buy a new one? or can i use the old one and just bend it up around the nut?

Use a NEW lock washer. Any Kawasaki dealer will have it or can order it; it is part number 92024-044 and is still available from Kawasaki. Do NOT use an impact tool to tighten that nut or any other nut. You need to use a torque wrench and tighten the nut to 54-61 ft. lbs. You do not need lock-tite or other liquid locking agent. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

front sprocket 02 Dec 2011 23:51 #491201

• Patton
  • KZr Legend

SCHWACKS wrote: well shit, cant find a washer. the old one actually was notched in the center, like the sprocket? I just checked z1 and ebay? where can i buy a new one? or can i use the old one and just bend it up around the nut?

$2.99 at Z1E

Click > www.z1enterprises.com/Lock-Washer--count...ft-sprocket-340.aspx

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Page: