Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ750B swapped engine, but now electrical question 26 Apr 2011 09:25 #447092

• rojo
  • rojo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Last summer I bought what I thought was the same year KZ750B as the one I drove in college. The old one has sat in the barn for almost 20 years, and is good for a few parts (I thought), and the 'new' one ran decent to start off. I was having a charging problem, so I swapped out a few electrical components, and as I got into it noticed that the plugs had been cut, hardwired and possibly rerouted.

After doing some research on the vin numbers, I figured out that my original 'barn bike', and the engine on the runner, are from 1976 -- KZ750B1's,... but the newer frame is from 1978 -- KZ750B3.

So,... now to the question. The wiring harness, rectifier-stator setup, and possibly other things have been changed slightly from '76 to 78, so I'm not sure how to proceed. I'm considering changing out the stator for the 78 version, and putting on the combined regulator/rectifier that was installed on the 78 model. Will the flywheel cover be a match? (will a B3 flywheel fit/work on a B1 engine)

To top it all off, I'm a newbie to all this, and am just jumping in, so any and all advice on this will be completely appreciated - thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ750B swapped engine, but now electrical question 26 Apr 2011 09:41 #447096

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Hello, rojo, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

Lots of good info on kawasaki.com, including parts diagrams, part numbers, models sharing same part, availability, etc.

Here's a link for help with navigating the site and finding information.

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=13&id=376734

If not already done, could check out the FILEBASE (in ribbon at top of screen) for specific info about each bike.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

KZ750B swapped engine, but now electrical question 26 Apr 2011 11:47 #447114

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Most of the twin owners are at THE KAWASAKI TWIN OWNERS FORUM , but a few of us check in here once in awhile :)

A long time ago I had a motor out of a 76 frame and I swapped a 78 rotor/flywheel onto it using the 78 stator, cover, and reg/rec. I never actually verified that is was a 76 motor, and since then there has been at least one person that said the crankshaft taper was different and the rotor/flywheel would not interchange.

If you already have the parts go ahead and try it.

The cover has to match the stator because the 76-77 has the three holes for the coil in the middle.
KD9JUR

Last edit: by steell.
  • Page: