Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Exhaust Help????? 24 Jan 2009 16:41 #259963

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
twfields79 wrote:

Cool thanks! Hey patton what do you mean when you say had local muffler shop do the quickie expansion inside muffler for perfect snug fit over header?

Pipe expander, muffler shops have powered ones, but you can buy a manual one fairly cheaply.
KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Exhaust Help????? 24 Jan 2009 19:43 #259988

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Here's some detail from a previous forum post.

All the horror stories about too tight fitment between canister and header on V-H may result simply from the chrome plating being a little too thick.

No clamp is used or needed at the muffler/header connection.

Not long ago, Z1E's Jeff Saunders wrote:
The primary issue we've seen with V&H pipes is the muffler being too snug to easily go over the collector...too much chrome on the inside of the muffler. Usually a light sanding on the inside of the muffler will clear this up. V&H may have addressed this as the most recent pipes we've sold have not generated any calls from customers...V&H is a little quieter...

Took my new V&H to the local muffler shop guy who put an expander tool in the canister and with one quick adjustment had it fitting perfectly and with no chrome damage whatever, actually no visual difference at all, just a nice easy snug perfect fit. Took about 5 seconds. Slick as a whistle. He just smiled and said, "I'd marry that!" Installation did not require any lube or sealant of any kind, and no leaks whatever. This cure seemed almost miraculous compared to the alternatives.

IMO grinding is not the answer. Would also forget about super heating canister to fit onto frozen header, because once it cools, it becomes permanent thereby disallowing necessary fitment adjustments.

Believe extra thick chrome is a good thing. And dreaded the prospect of attempting to sand or grind chrome from a circular surface, whether inside the canister or on outside of the header, and manage to maintain the perfect circle needed for precise fitment with no leakage. A cylinder hone might do okay inside the canister -- but still removes the chrome.

Save your time, energy, muffler, and dremmel wheel. And just pay a quick visit to your local muffler shop.

The canister tab was slightly misaligned, but easily adapted to fit with a short metal strap between it and the rear peg bolt. FWIW, I 've always used a small rubber "motor mount" sandwiched between the canister and bike frame to eliminate vibration from this area. The mount is a small rubber cylinder with 1/4 inch bolts coming out both sides, about one inch long with male threads. Works like a charm.

One exhaust clamp was difficult to fit over one header flange because of a rough spot on the flange. In this case, a quick light hit with file or dremel is okay -- won't take much.

Couldn't be happier with the new V&H system.

And don't forget to also order the V&H competition baffle for "off-road" use.

Good Luck!:)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Exhaust Help????? 24 Jan 2009 20:45 #260001

• timebomb33
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
i had to do the same thing on my drag bike it was a minor inconvenice at worst no problem about 10 sec. total at the muffler shop
1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

Exhaust Help????? 24 Jan 2009 21:34 #260023

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
timebomb33 wrote:

i had to do the same thing on my drag bike it was a minor inconvenice at worst no problem about 10 sec. total at the muffler shop

:ohmy: That's faster than my 1/4 mi ET! :laugh:

But would you "marry it?" :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

Exhaust Help????? 25 Jan 2009 15:45 #260130

• twfields79
  • twfields79's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Cool thanks for the info
1978 KZ650 B2

• Page: