Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Helmets that look OK with vintage Japanese bikes 09 Apr 2024 15:00 #897422

• Michi
  • Michi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 18
Just curious, as it's about that time for me when I want to buy a new helmet.
What kind of helmet do you have or prefer, when riding vintage Kawasaki?

I only get full-face helmets, but the types I prefer look a bit strange when riding an old bike. I look at Ruroc helmets and to me they look cool but would definitely be well out of place. So would most of the ultra-modern style helmets. Arai is another I like, but I've never been able to justify an Arai to myself - just too much has gone into marketing and I don't actually know if they're really so much better as everyone seems to say. The shell shape on the Arai basic line looks compact and clean though, so I might look again. I was looking at Bell helmets, especially Bell Bullitt, and they look cool. Anyone got one? I think you probably have to be good-looking to look good in one, and with the massive visor you lose some of the anonymity of modern full-face helmets.

Any decent helmet manufacturers which do helmets with understated, clean, classic sort of lines in a full-face helmet which you recommend? Preferably one which has more than 2 shell sizes per helmet model, as the cheaper you go the more bulbous your helmet gets.
KZ440A LTD (1980)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Helmets that look OK with vintage Japanese bikes 09 Apr 2024 15:25 #897423

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 656

Arai to myself - just too much has gone into marketing and I don't actually know if they're really so much better as everyone seems to say.

Crash helmets, possibly the difference between life and death. What value do you put on your life?
Function over forme for safety equipment. 
Arai, choice of motogp riders.
Would you use a tyre because you thought the tread pattern was cool but the the grip performance was like skating on ice. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Michi

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

Helmets that look OK with vintage Japanese bikes 09 Apr 2024 19:25 #897430

• ckahleer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 133
No full face helmet looks "vintage cool". If your after that look, get an open face helmet.
If your looking for maximum protection, get a full face helmet, and just accept the fact you will look like a storm trooper riding an old motorcycle.

94 KE100
81 CM200t
82 KZ305
79 KZ400
85 VT 500c
85 VF1100c

Helmets that look OK with vintage Japanese bikes 09 Apr 2024 19:53 #897431

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 250
I would look for helmets that meet both DOT and  ECE 22.05 standards.  You've only got one head.
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1

Helmets that look OK with vintage Japanese bikes 09 Apr 2024 20:17 #897434

• Stereordinary
  • User
  • Thank you received: 134
I've never owned an Arai, but from what I understand, it's not just marketing hype, they really are that good. Shoei is another one and if you're in a country where you can get the Glamster, that's all the vintage look you need. I have a Bell Eliminator currently, it looks cool, but not the most comfortable. 
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)
The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb, Michi

Helmets that look OK with vintage Japanese bikes 10 Apr 2024 04:06 #897440

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1023
All of the helmets sold at bike dealers will be correctly certified.  My helmet was picked for comfort, fit and noise level.  I wear an HJC full face.  Back in the day I wore Bell.  They still have helmets with the '70's look.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Helmets that look OK with vintage Japanese bikes 10 Apr 2024 06:59 #897442

• howardhb
  • Sustaining Member
  • God, I trust
  • Thank you received: 436
See here:
www.revzilla.com/retro-helmets

I really like the Bell Bullitt.
The Biltwell Gringo is also nice.

Note: These "old style" helmets are substantially more "noisy". The visor and fittings are "external" and not "flush fitting" as the newer generation helmets are, aided by computer design, wind tunnel testing etc.

Looking "cool" comes with a price..

H.
'81 GPz 550 D1 Click this link: www.kzrider.com/gallery/kz-550/1981-gpz550d1-9094#joomimg
'81 GPz 1100 B1 ELR "Tribute" www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/617040-1981-gpz1100-b1-rst
'82 Yamaha YB100 Fizzie
'79 Suzuki GT200 X5 TWO STROKE TWIN - SMOKER!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58, Michi

Last edit: by howardhb.

Helmets that look OK with vintage Japanese bikes 10 Apr 2024 07:27 #897444

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1793

See here:
www.revzilla.com/retro-helmets

I really like the Bell Bullitt.
The Biltwell Gringo is also nice.

Note: These "old style" helmets are substantially more "noisy". The visor and fittings are "external" and not "flush fitting" as the newer generation helmets are, aided by computer design, wind tunnel testing etc.

Looking "cool" comes with a price..

H.
that what ear plugs are for !

Helmets that look OK with vintage Japanese bikes 10 Apr 2024 07:44 #897445

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
  • Thank you received: 265
I can personally vouch for Arai helmets. I have worn them and I've crashed in them and I'm still here to tell the story. A couple years ago when I was putting our bikes back on the road, I was in the market for a fresh helmet. A new Arai, like my expired one... basic black, was close to $1000! I just couldn't justify the price. I bought a Simpson helmet. I've always wanted one and admire the styling. It does have a certain "vintage" appeal. As much as I want to say I love the Simpson... It's not as comfortable as my Arai helmets of the past.

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit
Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods
The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb, Wookie58, Michi

Helmets that look OK with vintage Japanese bikes 10 Apr 2024 08:18 #897446

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1793
This Biaggi rep was the last helmet I bought (will be replaced when my project is finished as it's over 20 years old now - been a while since i had a bike) but AGV definitely worth considering

Attachments:

Helmets that look OK with vintage Japanese bikes 10 Apr 2024 08:46 #897447

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972
Started  with a Bell Star 
But from 1982 on I have always  been a SIMPSON  rider.
And they have hat sizes to fit my  Fat Head
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Helmets that look OK with vintage Japanese bikes 10 Apr 2024 09:50 #897449

• Michi
  • Michi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 18
Thanks for the insights - some great suggestions. I only wear full-face fully ECE certified - I crashed in a full-face once, on holiday, where both the bike and the helmet were rented from a local operator. That helmet really did a great job but an Arai it was not... Just a standard ECE full-face from a cheap brand - think it might have been Ducchini or something like that. If it had been an Arai I would probably have been singing the praises of Arai but at the end of the day it's always polystyrene and an approved and tested shell. Some of them will be better than others, for sure, and I'm not going for a budget brand. I did try and get to the bottom of what made Arai so well-reputed, and I watched a long interview with the founder of that company and was none the wiser. He just talked about his personal values (basically said, "we don't compromise but everyone else does" and then stated how he started the company). I will keep looking for more information, as I don't completely rule out Arai or Shoei. For the price, though, you should get something that's demonstrably better than other helmets.
KZ440A LTD (1980)
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7, howardhb