Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 21 Jan 2014 18:37 #619552

• upncummr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Forrest:

I pretty much plan to eat breakfast - ride - eat lunch - ride and then come back to the cabin/lodge to do any required bike maintenance and either cook some dinner, call out for take-out or hit a restaurant.

Last year I believe they had a music festival in town during approximately this same timeframe. if there's something like that going on, I'd probably attend that in the evenings.

I plan to pack relatively light which means not bringing golf clubs, hiking gear, etc.

Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by upncummr.

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 21 Jan 2014 18:57 #619554

• Forrest
  • Forrest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178
I am with you on packing light Gary. That rundown was for Topper. But to be fair to Topper, he was asking for any specific activities. I have a dream which is depending on whether we get the KZ Rider North American Relay Ride Flag to The Rally. It would be great to get a hand-off at Four Corners. I do have some routes mapped out for rides. Thinking of cook outs and a finale party before we all depart. Otherwise, I am open to everyone's imagination for activities.
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 21 Jan 2014 19:13 #619557

• upncummr
  • User

Forrest wrote: I have a dream which is depending on whether we get the KZ Rider North American Relay Ride Flag to The Rally. It would be great to get a hand-off at Four Corners.

Forrest:

The Four Corners Monument is roughly 190 miles from South Fork to Teec Nos Pos, AZ or 4+ hours each way. Obviously that's a full-day commitment to get there and back. Taking the southern route through New Mexico increases the distance to 235 miles or maybe 5+ hours each way. But if that's the only thing planned for that day.....that's a reasonable goal. (At 380 or 470 miles round trip maybe I should say that it's a noble and very ambitious goal.)

Gary

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 22 Jan 2014 07:47 #619606

• upncummr
  • User

Forrest wrote: I do have some routes mapped out for rides.

Forrest:

I have a Butler Maps Colorado edition and also The Complete Guide to Motorcycling Colorado.

www.butlermaps.com/Motorcycle-Road-Maps/1/Colorado-Map

www.butlermaps.com/Motorcycle-Road-Maps/...ycling-Colorado-Book

They have several rides listed that are close to South Fork. I can summarize those for you if you'd like.

Gary

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 22 Jan 2014 07:56 #619607

• upncummr
  • User
Forrest:

Any idea regarding how many miles you might be planning on a typical day in the saddle?

A. 100 miles morning / 100 miles afternoon
B. 150 miles morning / 150 miles afternoon
C. 200 miles morning / 200 miles afternoon

I'm probably a 150/150 guy.....mostly limited by the ergonomics of the KZ 750. I figure after breakfast it'd be easy enough to get in three hours of riding at an average of 50 MPH then take a long break for lunch. After lunch it'd be back in the saddle again for another three hours.

Having some idea about distance tolerance and seat time tolerance might help with planning some of the routing.

Gary

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 22 Jan 2014 08:49 #619615

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
I could do the 150/150 easy, but could do the 200/200 also.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 22 Jan 2014 10:42 #619647

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
Gary, that's the distance to Four Corners. I think there would be enough interest especially if we meet The Flag Carrier for a special relay hand-off at the Four Corners Landmark. Group rides should be encouraged pimarily for enjoyment and safety. Yes, there are some great roads nearby to South Fork such as State Route 149 to Gunnison. There are many half day as well as full day rides depending on interest. I for one plan on riding the San Juan Skyway(CO State Rt 145), The Million Dollar Highway(U.S. 550), West Elk Loop of CO State Rt 92, and many more! :woohoo: I definitely want to take a southerly route into New Mexico and venture into AZ and maybe even dabble into Utah. I am mapping out some 1/2 day and full day routes. Everyone is welcome to contribute to the rides & route planning. I have never ridden or spent any time in that part of the country. I am definitely looking forward to it. :)

BTW, Great intel Gary on the Butler Maps. I think I may have to get me one of those! I have been doing some research on this site >>> www.motorcycleroads.us/states/co.html There are rider reviews on some the roads we will likely see.

AND, Jon I know you can log the miles! ;) BTW, how are your KZ repairs progressing?

Last edit: by Forrest.

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 22 Jan 2014 11:04 #619649

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck

upncummr wrote: Forrest:

Any idea regarding how many miles you might be planning on a typical day in the saddle?

A. 100 miles morning / 100 miles afternoon
B. 150 miles morning / 150 miles afternoon
C. 200 miles morning / 200 miles afternoon

I'm probably a 150/150 guy.....mostly limited by the ergonomics of the KZ 750. I figure after breakfast it'd be easy enough to get in three hours of riding at an average of 50 MPH then take a long break for lunch. After lunch it'd be back in the saddle again for another three hours.

Having some idea about distance tolerance and seat time tolerance might help with planning some of the routing.

Gary

I am not so hung up on total miles but the ride & desired destination. Time out and back can vary depending on the number of stops and sights to see. I am one for enjoying the journey but have no problem piling on the miles. That being said, there is some big country and lots of open spaces with towns and people few and far between. I suggest someone in each group carry extra fuel or at the least a fuel syphon pump in case a rider runs out of fuel before reaching the next stop. A patch kit & portable air compressor or C02 cartridges would be good too. Lots of things to consider to keep the day moving along and not get stranded. I for one will bring basic tools and will have my truck and trailer available for any bikes that may get stranded. A cell phone list of all Rally attendees as well as the Ute Bluff Lodge phone would also be a valuable resource for anyone out riding any distance.

AND, Gary you may consider swapping out those torture rack handlebars for a more standard set with less rise and pullback. It would make your bike much more comfortable for these extended rides.

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 22 Jan 2014 12:04 #619656

• upncummr
  • User

Forrest wrote: AND, Gary you may consider swapping out those torture rack handlebars for a more standard set with less rise and pullback. It would make your bike much more comfortable for these extended rides.

Forrest:

I have considered swapping out those torture racks. But back when I was actively looking for replacements I hadn't been able to find a set of factory bars that were in nice enough condition. I wanted to stay with factory bars as they were pre-drilled. Moving to aftermarket bars would require that I drill the bars and route the wires and I was worried about not doing that properly and damaging the wiring.

Maybe between now and August I'll dedicate a little time to looking for some replacements. I still have to replace the broken speedometer housing and glass with one of the two units I purchased. So I'll be doing some work up in that area of the bike anyway.

Gary

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 22 Jan 2014 12:55 #619665

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
Good to know you are sorting out the instrument cluster. FYI, my stock bars on my ZRX have all the LH & RH control wiring on the outside of the bars not routed in the tubing. The wiring has a thick black outer sleeve protecting all of the various wires to each side. I think my 77 KZ has the same outer sleeve/bundle composition but just routed internally for a cleaner look. My ZRX utilizes wide thick zip ties to hold the wiring bundles in place. I have never had an issue. You may be able to do the same on your KZ.

BTW, I just ordered my Butler Motorcycle Map of Colorado, $14.95 plus $3.00 postage & packaging! Now I have a sporting chance on getting to places and getting back to The Lodge! :lol:
OOPS! Just noticed on Gary's other Butler Map link the Map & Book Combo for $35 plus $5.05 priority postage. I am getting the book & map and saving like 22%! Might as well do some reading & research since we are frozen-in here in the midwest. :S Butler Maps has their people ride every road they report on and there are over 170 rides in the Colorado book! This makes sense since Butler is headquartered in Eagle, CO.

Last edit: by Forrest.

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 22 Jan 2014 13:22 #619670

• upncummr
  • User
Forrest:

The Motorcycling Colorado book is very nice. It ties into the highlighted rides on the Butler map of Colorado.

The thing I like best about it though is that it gives a nice synopsis of each ride (e.g. length, topography, road type, road condition, etc. It tells you whether the route is tight and technical or open and sweeping.

It really adds a lot to the map.

Gary

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 02 Feb 2014 20:13 #620949

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
I received my Butler Map and book on Colorado motorcycle roads. Really glad I got the book on roads. It is already proving to be great help on planning rides! There are some great roads and loops from and back to South Fork. Also, if anyone has a dual sport or adventure bike, there are many very attractive routes on dirt and gravel with great views and destinations. I am starting to think a dual sport bike would be another great addition to bring to The Rally.