• Page:

TOPIC:

THE MERGE! 23 Sep 2019 18:01 #811234

• Teebagger
  • Teebagger's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey lads,

Im still pretty green here and still have a lot to learn about these beautiful old girls so by all means pull me up if I say something wrong
I have 2x 79 KZ1's. Ones turboed and the second is a half scratch built ST

The first one I acquired was the turbo which had been parked up for 10+ years in a chook shed and in very poor condition and been left in mine now for probably another 5 :S This was built back in the 80's and from what Ive heard was based on a drag setup but used on the road. Apparently it has Mtc forged rods and pistons and a welded crank? From the outside it has a big Rayjays turbo, Austin 1100 carb and water injection using god knows what vehicles fuel pump

The second one the guy had a pretty cool vision but ran out of time & money etc. So this is an ST (shafty) frame for the wider swingarm pivet point which has a 2010 R1 swingarm, 2010 Zx6r forks, Ducati Sport Classic spoked wheels and GPZ1100 body work and more. In the photo thats an 1100 engine but since gone)

And the MERGE

I really dont know which way to head with this thing and totally understand this will be a ground up rebuild but most the funs in the build and have plenty of time on my hands after my recent accident that might be the end of my road riding days ...... for now!
I love building one offs so I want to keep things pretty close to the original styling but stray a little if you get what I mean. Bigger brakes, tyres and suspension are a must (I love racefit builds)
Do I mod up the engine with later model gear ie turbo, carb, fitting etc or try keeping it period, water injection, copper fittings etc?
I know this will possibly get me shot but I kinda dig the gpz tank and tail

Let us have it, what are your guys thoughts?????
Im not 100% sold on the R1 swingarm so any suggestions (if anyone has a chunky spondon lying round hit me up :P )
It rubs the lotion on its skin!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Teebagger.

THE MERGE! 25 Sep 2019 13:09 #811343

• Mr.Wizard
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
I've got the same ZX6R forks, do you know what the process was getting the stem to fit? Is it just spacer'd out?

Like the direction you're going... and I secretly also love the 1100 tank and tail ;)

THE MERGE! 25 Sep 2019 13:45 #811345

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
Pretty sure I remember the GPZ bike being built on this website, the sport classic wheels are unique to it. Funny how it all comes around. I personally prefer the GPZ style bodywork with a small bikini fairing to match. I have been planning on a turbo build for a while, I even had a complete ATP turbo kit at one point but I was talked out of using that draw through setup. I hope to eventually do a blown through setup, better reliability and more even fueling. Watching this with interest.

THE MERGE! 25 Sep 2019 20:49 #811359

• Teebagger
  • User
Hey, sorry I wasnt the one that originally set them up. From memory I think he used the original stem and pressed that into 09 z1000 triple clamps ...... which sadly I then nicked them off this and put them onto another project of mine :(

Dont get me wrong I absolutely love the original look but have always had a chub for this racefit gs1000
Attachments:

THE MERGE! 25 Sep 2019 22:05 #811360

• Teebagger
  • User
Hahaha, yeah I bought it off Jarrod? a number of years ago now. He built it up over in Auz before shipping it over here.
I loved the the look he was going for and beings at the bottom of earth in New Zealand there are very few parts or bikes available so jumped on it when it came up for sale

I just did a quick google search atp turbo kit and the first post that came up was yours and the setup you got :lol: Im guessing you have since gotten rid of it going by you saying HAD?
Im not totally sure what the plan is with this thing yet, a few guys around here that remembered this bike said it was an absolute animal and to keep it the way it was but they can be a right pain to tune being a draw through setup?
I was told this same setup was put on a bike in Auz that set a heap of records back in the day. It would also keep blowing boost gauges cause it ran up around 30psi ..... on the road (Im not sure if that was just bullshit and please excuse anything that may come off sounding daft as I have no clue when it comes to the mechanics of an engine)

Last edit: by Teebagger.

THE MERGE! 25 Sep 2019 23:19 #811361

• Teebagger
  • User
Mr.Wizard I did a search on here for the original build on the ST thanks to DoctoRot. You'll find the fork and triple clamp install he did on page 3 so hopefully it helps
Jarrad ya dirty, you put in the listing they were 2010 zx6r forks and 09 z1000 triples then looking on here it says they are both 05 :S

www.kzrider.com/kunena/11-projects/53550...project-new-oldskool

THE MERGE! 26 Sep 2019 00:17 #811362

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1920
for Mr.Wizard: a front and rear end conversion howto by Old Man Rock

Edit: Had remove the PDF and insert JPEG for the front end conversion

Last edit: by Scirocco.

THE MERGE! 26 Sep 2019 07:49 #811379

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

Scirocco wrote: for Mr.Wizard: a front and rear end conversion howto by Old Man Rock

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Links are dead my friend. Interesting stuff, though. :)
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

THE MERGE! 26 Sep 2019 12:15 #811392

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1920
...and here are the rear end conversion pics

Maybe the admins can explain or fix the PDF file error.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ

THE MERGE! 26 Sep 2019 17:13 #811402

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
Yeah I sold the kit on eBay for a pretty penny. I was told that because of the plenum style the outer two pistons will inevitably be leaner and will have problems with the fuel turning to droplets. Not to say that it can’t make big power it’s just less reliable than a modern blow through turbo setup with a carb per cylinder being fed by the turbo

• Page: