Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 03 Feb 2013 20:11 #570612

• zed1015
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1480
This is the 55mm hilborn copy injector that originally came with the Drouin.
It is cast as one piece with the inlet manifold plate.

The carb conversion was originally a part exchange deal in which you sent the injector back to Tom Drouin and you got the carb and seperate manifold which it bolted to.

Here's the 42mm carb mine had fitted on the left and the new S&S i replaced it with on the right which is still not big enough.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: turboking

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 04 Feb 2013 00:29 #570669

• Hollywoodmx
  • Hollywoodmx's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16

donthaveakawman wrote: the boost on a turbo doesn't kick in until a certain point in the rpm range, blower has always got boost because it is driven by a belt.

I think that's more of an issue with the turbo's people pick. The turbo's I see on bike are generally too big including the the stock z1r turbo. Plus turbos back then were not as advanced as the ones today. I can tell you this think this SC is too big for the bike or at least with this intake setup. One advantage it has over the turbos is its directly bolted to the engine intake ports which helps with low end by building boost earlier.

zed1015 wrote: This is the 55mm hilborn copy injector that originally came with the Drouin.
It is cast as one piece with the inlet manifold plate.

The carb conversion was originally a part exchange deal in which you sent the injector back to Tom Drouin and you got the carb and seperate manifold which it bolted to.

Here's the 42mm carb mine had fitted on the left and the new S&S i replaced it with on the right which is still not big enough.

Ah ok, ya I didnt see the injector so mine must have the swap cause I have the two piece. The carb measured at 42mm. Notice on the intake side the HI needle doesn't sit in the middle. I will take it apart to see if that is normal. (see pics).

Why was it an upgrade to go from 55mm TB to 42mm carb?

Like you I think I need something bigger.. :evil:
- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary
Attachments:

Last edit: by Hollywoodmx.

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 04 Feb 2013 00:37 #570671

• Hollywoodmx
  • User
Well I tried to get the engine out it was a no go... I put it on its side too. "roger Roger, what's your clearance Clarence, what's your vector Victor..." :laugh:

It's too fakin big with the SC.. :P I need a different pulley puller to pull out the SC...
- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary
Attachments:

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 04 Feb 2013 00:45 #570674

• Hollywoodmx
  • User
Here are some parts I pulled and misc parts in the box of goodies. I didn't notice any kind of pump or solenoid for the alk injection but the lines were hooked up. Does it pull from vacuum from the intake manifold? How do you normally turn it on or off? Maybe the nos part on the facet was for the alky cause there was another nos solenoid in the box in the pics?
- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary
Attachments:

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 04 Feb 2013 06:46 #570695

• zed1015
  • Away
  • User
You will need to remove the charger before the engine,and possibly the inlet manifold first before the charger body.

The alky injection runs off boost pressure. no on/off tap or pump.
The tank gets pressurised from the plenum.
There's a couple of inline one way valves either side of the tank that open at around 5psi to regulate the flow.
Can you get some clear close up pics of the valves and injection nozzle as i haven't got those and need to make up my own system.
Looks like you have the full set of pullys too.
I am after a set of pullys for the highest boost if you ever want to sell.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 04 Feb 2013 22:49 #570806

• Hollywoodmx
  • User

zed1015 wrote: You will need to remove the charger before the engine,and possibly the inlet manifold first before the charger body.

The alky injection runs off boost pressure. no on/off tap or pump.
The tank gets pressurised from the plenum.
There's a couple of inline one way valves either side of the tank that open at around 5psi to regulate the flow.
Can you get some clear close up pics of the valves and injection nozzle as i haven't got those and need to make up my own system.
Looks like you have the full set of pullys too.
I am after a set of pullys for the highest boost if you ever want to sell.

Ok I will tonight and thanks for the info.

I'm running the middle pulley set now and plan on keeping the high boost ones in case. I did a bunch of research on the S&S carbs. Seems like the way to go due to the harley crowd support and info around them, thanks for the tip. Now I will need to get a new manifold adapter made.. :pinch:

I remember when I first bought this bike and was thinking its already full of mods so I will keep it simple and swap out the body parts and give it new paint and a set of cafe bars and then be off to the races. I put my Yamaha on hold thinking the kz is an easier/faster project.

It all went down hill when I started looking into swapping in modern brakes. Then for the price of rotors and brakes might as well do a front end swap...then well if you do the front you have to do the rear...etc, etc. Probly a common theme around here.

Part of my rationalization was I was going to swap the kz forks on the the Yamaha and run the kz rear tire on it too that way I have spoked rims (the yamaha tr1/virago boys dream of spoke rims vs mags). But I plan on making that bike more of a simplistic bike that is more that "old worn cafe" look. Where this kz is going to be tricked out to impress (on a reasonable budget of course).

Here are some first glances of the plan...see pics. This is only the half of it. Wait to you see what I got in store for the looks of this thing. I have it on paper but my drawing sucks so I don't want to embarrass myself. The shitty thing is it will probly be 2 months till I get it done.

2k Ura primer
ura color - basic white
2k ura clear
black and green enamel.

Attachment 20130202_170951.jpg not found

Attachment 20130202_170942.jpg not found

- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary
Attachments:

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 05 Feb 2013 07:02 #570861

• zed1015
  • Away
  • User
Yeah! these simple builds always turn in to something bigger, especially mine :laugh:

Here's a link to my Drouin thread on the Z1 site.

www.z1ownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.p...torder=asc&start=315

Pages 21 and 22 have some pics of my modified manifold, might be of help and give you some ideas.
Get your self an adjustable main jet for the S&S, it will save a lot of mucking about with jets etc.

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 05 Feb 2013 11:22 #570880

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationtrolling ebay looking for a carb for a chopper project and guess what i found :ohmy: ,

advertised to fit a kz.
leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Last edit: by 531blackbanshee.

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 05 Feb 2013 11:54 #570884

• zed1015
  • Away
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

531blackbanshee wrote: trolling ebay looking for a carb for a chopper project and guess what i found :ohmy: ,

advertised to fit a kz.
leon

Super 'B' was the first route i took when i first realised my carb was too small but although there was an improvement it still wasn't big enough.
Ended up buying a new 'G' from the US which is better but still needs something bigger, a Super'D' is the largest S&S supply and if i knew then what i know now i would have bought one from the get go.
Been toying with linking two G's side by side with a common butterfly shaft for my blown 1428 project.

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 05 Feb 2013 17:33 #570907

• Hollywoodmx
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

zed1015 wrote: Yeah! these simple builds always turn in to something bigger, especially mine :laugh:

Here's a link to my Drouin thread on the Z1 site.

www.z1ownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.p...torder=asc&start=315

Pages 21 and 22 have some pics of my modified manifold, might be of help and give you some ideas.
Get your self an adjustable main jet for the S&S, it will save a lot of mucking about with jets etc.

Sweet man. I will definitely check it out. Ya I spent all night on Sunday exploring adjustable jets. I'm so much smarterz now! lol.

zed1015 wrote:

531blackbanshee wrote: trolling ebay looking for a carb for a chopper project and guess what i found :ohmy: ,

advertised to fit a kz.
leon

Super 'B' was the first route i took when i first realised my carb was too small but although there was an improvement it still wasn't big enough.
Ended up buying a new 'G' from the US which is better but still needs something bigger, a Super'D' is the largest S&S supply and if i knew then what i know now i would have bought one from the get go.
Been toying with linking two G's side by side with a common butterfly shaft for my blown 1428 project.

Ya but for a NA chopper wouldn't the D be too big? I thought it was for 1600cc and up (or something sizable with FI) from the material I read. Harley CV carbs are on the cheap if someone was looking for a 4 into 1 or a 2 into 2 carbs (one on each side would be bad ass looking) but they are push pull.

A double G with a butterfly would be sweet!
- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 05 Feb 2013 19:11 #570923

• Hollywoodmx
  • User
Detailed picture of misc parts attached as requested.
- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary
Attachments:

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 05 Feb 2013 19:16 #570925

• Hollywoodmx
  • User
Laziness results in efficiency. Oh and I know how much you guys LOVED the gold...it was the most expensive sanding I have ever done in my life... :pinch:

Attachment 20130204_214149.jpg not found

Attachment 20130204_214201.jpg not found

Attachment 20130204_214216.jpg not found

- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary
Attachments: