Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1980 KZ1000P - Project begins. 26 Mar 2012 21:42 #512184

• BB
  • BB's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Man, appreciate the tips. I gotta say, I checked everything per manual, there is no play anywhere there shouldnt be and everything is within spec.

Can I get away without replacing the cam chain, rollers and bearings if they look OK? Other than the pillow pads, they are expensive!!
1980 KZ1000P - The Mistress
2002 R1150GS - Matilda

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1980 KZ1000P - Project begins. 26 Mar 2012 22:15 #512193

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
  • Thank you received: 223

BB wrote: While i have the engine completely apart, what maintainence would you guys suggest?

Since you have the head off how about changing the rubber valve seals to the much better Viton type. You'll have to do it sooner or later.
"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

1980 KZ1000P - Project begins. 26 Mar 2012 22:45 #512207

• Chaotic Reason
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
Yeah, they are expensive. There are a couple different ways of looking at it. You can rebuild with what you have, and it'll probably be fine for awhile. And then you'll notice the wear and have to do it anyways.
Or you can do it now, while you do have everything apart, and not have to worry about it for a long time.

I totally get you about the money thing. It's taken me almost a year to get what I needed.

On a separate note, the valve stem seals are a good idea. Z1 had a link show up under the stock ones, for the ones with a metal collar around the lower end. I think they were for Suzuki, but they work great on our bikes too. I just installed a set. ;) They might be the Viton type that blipco suggested.
Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

1980 KZ1000P - Project begins. 27 Mar 2012 12:30 #512293

• Marneman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
I found that fine steel wool does a great job on cleaning up mildly rusted chrome. Finish it off with a nice wax as a protectant. Depending on the severity, you may not be able to tell it was rusted to begin with :)
77 KZ1000-A1 "Bushido" Project
82 KZ1000 LTD "Terri Lee"

You know what, I don't have a one to some other number of douche-bag scale. So.. Six!

1980 KZ1000P - Project begins. 27 Mar 2012 20:34 #512386

• BB
  • User
Thanks for the tip on the steel wool, i will give it a go.

What is a good product to clean the valves and pistons with?

Also, I plan to get the block and head blasted clean and maybe even clear powdercoated. Does anyone see a reason why I shouldnt do either of these things?
2002 R1150GS - Matilda

1980 KZ1000P - Project begins. 31 Mar 2012 20:16 #513255

• BB
  • User
So I ran into all the problems today I had expected, but not experienced. Broke a bolt, stripped some siezed phillips head bolts. Lack of special tools and the absolute need for them (as opposed to my normal figure out a make do).

Does anyone know a work around to remove the clutch hub without a clutch hub holder (part # 57001-119)? the clutch hub bolt is on there pretty tight. I tried wedging a screwdriver in to hold while I used a breaker bar and socket on the nut... but got too much tension to be comfortable I would not break something.

Also JIS srcewdrivers? Z1? or anywhere else? Any recommendations on a Seattle machine shop that can remove broken bolts. One is the starter motor cover, broken off in the actual starter body. The second is in the bottom case. Also soon to be some stripped phillips head bolts if the goo I put on does not work overnight.

Finally, the pistons are showing some wear, but you cant feel the wear by touch, and I saw mentioned on a different thread that there should be cross hatching on the cylinder wall... Each cylinder is super smooth with no evidence of cross hatching...is this right?

Attachment IMG_0226.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_0229.JPG not found

This first timer appreciates the input!

Cheers.
2002 R1150GS - Matilda
Attachments:

1980 KZ1000P - Project begins. 31 Mar 2012 20:50 #513272

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
JIS screwdrivers - These folks sell them (see first link) but you will need to call them and ask them for the #3 bit (you WILL need it). They sell it (I just bought one a month or so ago) but I don't think it's listed on their website.

www.rjrcooltools.com/shop_item_detail.cfm?subcat_ID=89

In the mean time, or as an alternative, you can make your own from Phillips bits. The main difference is that the standard Phillips tips have a little too much point at the end of the tip. Grind a little off the tip, test fit in screw, grind a little - soon it will fit very well (see 2nd link)

kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/452802-loud-c...hile-cranking#452872

Here are some pics comparing tips:

Attachment TIPS1.JPG not found

Attachment TIPS2.JPG not found

Attachment TIPS3.JPG not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Last edit: by 650ed.

1980 KZ1000P - Project begins. 02 Apr 2012 14:46 #513589

• BB
  • User
With and impact screwdriver and home hade JIS bits all worked well. Thanks for the tip. She is all apart now, see below.

Attachment IMG_0230.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_0234.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_0239.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_0242.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_0247.JPG not found

I will take all of the outer parts to be sand blasted, by then all the other bits should be back from the powdercoater. Then the rebuild - here is a list of jobs/new parts.

1/ New Cam chain and all guides
2/ Valve Job, rings
3/ Complete internal detail
4/ Remove/Replace stripped screws/bolts
5/ New axle bearings front and rear
6/ New steering bearings
7/ New battery, rectifier, wiring harness (do I need an igniter with a Dyna S system?)
8/ Dyna S timing and coils
9/ New chain and sprocket set
10/ New grips, cables all round, new bolts
11/ New brake pads all round, stainless lines, new rear and front cylinders is the old ones cant be salvaged

Probably a lot more, that is not coming to mind. Are there any maintenence tasks I should perform while she is in bits?

Cheers,
2002 R1150GS - Matilda
Attachments:

1980 KZ1000P - Project begins. 22 Jan 2013 17:12 #568682

• motojoe392
  • User
Haven't gotten far, or just forgot about the forum as I did? haha
Being Bikeless is killing me...

1980 KZ1000P - Project begins. 20 Jul 2013 22:04 #597503

• motojoe392
  • User
Hey Brian, it's Joe. My dad sold you the bike. I'm really curious on how this project is going! Keep up the work!
Being Bikeless is killing me...