Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

I Know Zip About Motorcycles! (aka KZ750B4 bobber) 20 Sep 2011 17:48 #478079

• pbmax
  • pbmax's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1

Patton wrote: For future reference. Counter-shaft sprocket holder.

Good Fortune! :)

Where does the other end go where the bolts are? Around the frame?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I Know Zip About Motorcycles! (aka KZ750B4 bobber) 20 Sep 2011 17:55 #478082

• tooocool49723
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Also, if your replacing the clutch you can use the old plates to custom make a clutch holder tool. Just some FYI.

Good luck with your project, looks like you have the right can-do attitude for it. Just work on it a little each day/weekend but KEEP AT IT. Projects fail when people get aggrivated and quit, and stop working.

Also, the impact is supposed to make that clickity clack sound, that's the hammer hitting the anvil on the inside of it, and is what makes an impact so much more powerful than a drill (the inertia of the hammer is transmitted through the anvil to the socket). If you know your hitting the bolt the correct direction, dont be afraid to impact it for a while, I've hit crank bolts for a full 15-20 seconds before they came out)

Also, how apart are you taking this thing? At 9k miles I wouldn't even take the valve cover off except to check for clearances. Still though, good learning experience!
'82 KZ550 "Project"
First bike, 30k miles

Ann Arbor, Mi

Last edit: by tooocool49723.

I Know Zip About Motorcycles! (aka KZ750B4 bobber) 20 Sep 2011 18:00 #478083

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
The other end of the chain goes around the swingarm pivot. Of course, it helps if you remove the countersprocket before removing the engine from the frame. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it helps to take your time, plan things out a little better, and gain a better understanding of what you're doing before proceeding. It makes things go much smoother and reduces the chance of breaking stuff.
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

I Know Zip About Motorcycles! (aka KZ750B4 bobber) 20 Sep 2011 18:09 #478086

• Chaotic Reason
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
You weren't born from the womb with a wrench in your hand either??? We must be related, neither was I!!!
Na, in seriousness, I think you're doing a great job. The guys on here are amazing. And the wealth of knowledge they possess and share is truly a humanitarian effort IMHO. They've said my rear end more than they'll ever know.
Keep at it, and I look forward to seeing everything come together.
Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

I Know Zip About Motorcycles! (aka KZ750B4 bobber) 20 Sep 2011 21:50 #478151

• jramsey89
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Looks like you are moving along pretty quickly... just don't move too fast. You are very driven to work on this bike, which is good, but I would suggest that you ask more questions on here. The manual is great at telling you how to do some things, but not always how not to do them. When I get into a situation where there is any doubt on what my next step should be, I ask someone who's been there and save myself the trouble that will come later. Should be a cool bike when its done.

Best of luck :)

I Know Zip About Motorcycles! (aka KZ750B4 bobber) 20 Sep 2011 22:04 #478154

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Would hate to admit some of the early stuff I tried, such as milling a head by rubbing it over the cement garage floor, welding aluminum "filler" inside a head, packing a muffler with pine burrs, etc. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Usually don't hesitant to "Fix it or kill it!" :woohoo: :lol: :lol:

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

I Know Zip About Motorcycles! (aka KZ750B4 bobber) 20 Sep 2011 22:58 #478171

• Topper
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Cool. I get to watch somebody take apart my bike! And hopefully put it all back together again. What year is that 750 twin?
Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

I Know Zip About Motorcycles! (aka KZ750B4 bobber) 21 Sep 2011 11:16 #478276

• pbmax
  • User

tooocool49723 wrote: Also, the impact is supposed to make that clickity clack sound, that's the hammer hitting the anvil on the inside of it, and is what makes an impact so much more powerful than a drill (the inertia of the hammer is transmitted through the anvil to the socket). If you know your hitting the bolt the correct direction, dont be afraid to impact it for a while, I've hit crank bolts for a full 15-20 seconds before they came out)

I figured as much. I just wasn't sure how long it takes to loosen a nut or bolt with an impact wrench.

Also, how apart are you taking this thing? At 9k miles I wouldn't even take the valve cover off except to check for clearances.

I'm going all the way. Why? I don't really know, lol. Here are some reasons I came up with...

1. Can this 32 year old bike really only have 9,000 miles? It seems odd to me. This must have sat for a long time.

2. While the inside of the motor might be OK, the rest of the bike looked like sh*t. How do I really know the motor is good working order?

3. Good learning experience.

4. Peace of mind knowing everything is clean and in perfect working order (provided I don't screw up).

5. I want to paint/polish the engine so I figured that would be done best with it apart.

I Know Zip About Motorcycles! (aka KZ750B4 bobber) 21 Sep 2011 11:21 #478279

• pbmax
  • User

Chaotic Reason wrote: I think you're doing a great job.

Thanks.

The guys on here are amazing. And the wealth of knowledge they possess and share is truly a humanitarian effort IMHO.

Yes, these fourms are indispensable. "I'm standing on the shoulders of giants".

I Know Zip About Motorcycles! (aka KZ750B4 bobber) 21 Sep 2011 11:22 #478280

• pbmax
  • User

Topper wrote: Cool. I get to watch somebody take apart my bike! And hopefully put it all back together again. What year is that 750 twin?

That's the plan (might take awhile though).

Its a 1979 kz750B4.

I Know Zip About Motorcycles! (aka KZ750B4 bobber) 21 Sep 2011 11:49 #478295

• Topper
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 133
That's exactly my bike! Sweet. I'll grab some popcorn and watch this one unfold. Kudos on diving in and taking on a complete rebuild!
Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

I Know Zip About Motorcycles! (aka KZ750B4 bobber) 21 Sep 2011 12:03 #478300

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 444
Looking good pbmax. I don't think there is much to worry about the part that broke off. Was that from the starter housing? Just saving some extra weight. :laugh: It may not look pretty with gap there once reassembled. But seriously, you may be able to JB weld the broken section back on. It doesn't look like a stressed section. I would be more concerned with the

"chipping off a small piece of aluminum from the hub"

quote since its a rotating part. As for your reasons of stripping the engine down: I think #4 would be my top answer. Just the learning experience alone. And in my case, working on the bike is my alone time away from the kids as a kind of therapy. So when I am working on it, no matter what difficulties I run into, I try to keep it in perspective and have fun with it instead. I do agree you should ask questions here if you run into a snag. But keep on keeping on! Best of luck.

Joe
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

Last edit: by KZJOE900.